Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Joined the Navy Part 2 NUKE PROGRAM!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Way to go Jiro! And if you make it to the Submarine Service you won't need suntan lotion!
But watch out for "hot racking" down there. Those bubbleheads are strange peeples....

Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
But watch out for "hot racking" down there. Those bubbleheads are strange peeples....
Hey, I resemble that statement!

1sss.gif1bobs-fbm-breast-pin.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Jiro, Congratulations!! Do well in BP&E and your class "A" school and you will be OK! What Rate did they guarantee you, ET, EM, or MM? Don't get caught up in screwing off and blow this opportunity, because that is what it is. They will want you to go to New London prior to Nuke school to get sub qualified and you will have to graduate from "A" school in the upper 80 percentile.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Jiro, Congratulations!! Do well in BP&E and your class "A" school and you will be OK! What Rate did they guarantee you, ET, EM, or MM? Don't get caught up in screwing off and blow this opportunity, because that is what it is. They will want you to go to New London prior to Nuke school to get sub qualified and you will have to graduate from "A" school in the upper 80 percentile.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!
He will need to go to the fleet and serve on a boat before he becomes submarine qualified (allows you to put SS after your rank) He will need to successfully finish NL sub school before he goes to the fleet.

Submarine qualified (SS) is not a diploma, it is experience and knowledge on a specific boat. If you transfer to a new boat you are required to re-qual.

Didn't mean to step on your toes dune, are you a bubblehead?

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck! Also, I hope you like havin' girls as kids.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #16

They haven't guaranteed anything yet. They are putting in the paper work and I was told most likly I'll get a call and it'll be gravy from there....I'm thinking about looking over my contract alittle bit closer this time around hehehe.

But really I don't care what job they give me, unless you guys have a suggestion.

It's not set in stone but not complete yet.

I'm going to go for sub. Not sure the procedure.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
They haven't guaranteed anything yet. They are putting in the paper work and I was told most likly I'll get a call and it'll be gravy from there....I'm thinking about looking over my contract alittle bit closer this time around hehehe.

But really I don't care what job they give me, unless you guys have a suggestion.

It's not set in stone but not complete yet.

I'm going to go for sub. Not sure the procedure.
Submarine Service is all voluntary. (and pays haz duty pay +$) When you request sub duty, if they need head count in the fleet, you will not get your "A" school! As soon as you finish sub school you will be deployed to the fleet.

Your priority should be to get your "A" and "B" schooling in writing first and then volunteer for sub duty.

If all goes well and if you have any deployment options (As high grade-ranking students often do!) get your butt to the Pacific Fleet! (SUBCOMPAC) I hated the North Atlantic! (SUBCOMLANT) Black water and power plant ejection temps of 26F! (That's -3C!) Condensate freezes in the bilge!

Trust me on this one!

- orangello

Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Congratulations JZ

Hope you get the sub job you want. And always remember the first rule of safety.

The missile tube is always loaded !!!

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 05-06-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In the mid 70's I worked at the Indian Point 3 reactor in Montrose/Buchanan, NY and most of the Control Room Operators were ex-Navy nukes making BIG bucks. These are the ones that studied their asses off and actually graduated. Two HighSchool friends joined the Navy on the buddy program and were promised the world by their recruiter, they also signed up for the nuke program. First thing that happened was they were split up - one was reassigned to SanDiego and the other spent a large part of the next 4 years underwater for 3 months at a time between New London and Scotland. He hated it, and was simply a submariner, not a nuke pgm. graduate.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
In the mid 70's I worked at the Indian Point 3 reactor in Montrose/Buchanan, NY and most of the Control Room Operators were ex-Navy nukes making BIG bucks. These are the ones that studied their asses off and actually graduated. Two HighSchool friends joined the Navy on the buddy program and were promised the world by their recruiter, they also signed up for the nuke program. First thing that happened was they were split up - one was reassigned to SanDiego and the other spent a large part of the next 4 years underwater for 3 months at a time between New London and Scotland. He hated it, and was simply a submariner, not a nuke pgm. graduate.
Thanks for the backup RL. This just verifies what I was talking about in my previous post. Both examples happened to me.

The recruiter signed my friend and me up for the buddy program and guaranteed we would be together through boot camp. That lasted five days!

While in boot I wanted to be an electrician. The interviewer said no problemo! I asked a question about hazardous duty pay and did submarine crew members get it? His response was yes, are you interested in the sub service? I said yes if the pay is better. (I was earning 95$ a month as a recruit, haz pay was 125$/month!) From that moment on I thought my deployment papers post boot camp were going to be for Electrician’s “A” school.

After completing BC my papers were cut for sub school New London. After a few weeks of sub school (and getting good grades) the Chief of the school called me to his office. (His last name was the same as mine.) After learning we were not related he ask me what I wanted to do in HIS NAVY. I said I was going to go to electrician’s school as soon as I completed school here. He laughed and said according to his assignment sheet I was destined to be deployed to the fleet and no school was scheduled and no electrician openings were available. I have an opening in Sonar school if you’re interested? I said sure and nothing was said from then on. My orders were cut after graduation and guess what; they were for Torpedoman “A” weapons school in Key West. The Chief, because of my good grades wanted me to go to any “A” school and got me in the only one with an opening. This saved me from going to the fleet as a non-striker E-3! Lots of KP duty!

After a good grade showing in “A” school my orders were cut for Launcher technician “B” school in Dam Neck. I advanced during “B” school and when I went to the fleet I was a TM3 E-4. Life is much better as an NCO on your first deployment!

RL's friend that hated sub duty; I'll bet he completed sub school and was deployed to the fleet as a non-striker. He probably spent his entire sub career as a seaman on the boatswain's deck gang. These guys never advance and do ALL the dirty work! God bless them!

The moral of this story? GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Timing is everything, and make sure you turn to and get those grades!!! Oh yea, don’t put any holes in the submarine’s overhead! That would be a zero defect sport! (Sorry dude but I had to do that!)

- orangello