John Wayne Thread!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > John Wayne Thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21313 Times on 12090 Posts
Likes Given: 53106

Default John Wayne Thread!

just wanted to start a thread about John Wayne as there seem to quite a few John Wayne fans here on the forum, myself included.

post your favorite John Wayne movies and why you liked them. post your favorite John Wayne quotes or trivia. tell us how John Wayne was an influence on your life in any way.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

My favorites are probably True Grit, North to Alaska, McClintock, and Big Jake. I watched those with my Papaw all of the time growing up. Those are some of my favorite memories of him. He was like John Wayne in real life too me.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

My signature.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #4

Liked 2723 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

i'm on team audie murphy.......

Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 272 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 283

I've most liked the way he spoke of America and conservative beliefs. Some of his speeches can be seen on YouTube:

https://www.google.com/#q=john+wayne+on+America

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

People Like This 
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #6

in some ways, it's hard for me to pick a favorite John Wayne movie out of all those he was in. like last night, i hadn't seen the movie "Who Shot Liberty Valance" in some time. another really good movie of his.

but if i had to pick one, it would probably have to be, "The Shootist" his last movie he made before he passed away. well made IMO and in some ways chronicled his careerin the western movies and the story was befitting as his last movie and was a bit ironic in some ways.

there are not a lot of celebrities i would really care one or the other if i ever met, but John Wayne was one of the few i would have liked to have met.

People Like This 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 2289

My favorite is Rio Bravo. There's a scene with Ricky Nelson playing a guitar and singing with Dean Martin. John Wayne and Walter Brennan where just watching and enjoying it. Everyone was having a good time in that scene and years ago while watching that part it occurred to me that everyone in that scene was dead and gone. That's still such a sad scene for me. It's like a snap shot in time of people enjoying life and now they're all gone.

Just out of curiosity is there a John Wayne movie that anyone doesn't like besides some of his early B movies? I can't think of a single one that I don't like.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #8

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

C'mon guys, ya gotta click like on Axxe for this thread! I mean ...we are talkin' John Wayne, honor, country and apple pie!

I love most of his movies but El Dorado is my favorite. Lots of fun, Howard Hawks directing, great color, great cast including John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan, Jim Davis, Michele Carey, Paul Fix, Christopher George and Johnny Crawford! And that always evil slimebucket, Ed Asner!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
C'mon guys, ya gotta click like on Axxe for this thread! I mean ...we are talkin' John Wayne, honor, country and apple pie!

I love most of his movies but El Dorado is my favorite. Lots of fun, Howard Hawks directing, great color, great cast including John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan, Jim Davis, Michele Carey, Paul Fix, Christopher George and Johnny Crawford! And that always evil slimebucket, Ed Asner!
thanks Quentin!

John Wayne was one of the few actors my grandfather liked to watch and my grandfather was my hero.

he will probably be more remembered for the westerns he made, but he made movies in a lot of different genres over his entire career as an actor. one of those different from his westerns was the movie, "The Quiet Man" in which i saw some of the interviews with some of the cast, that this was a movie he really wanted to make and enjoyed making. if you haven't seen this movie, you owe to yourself to see it. great movie.
People Like This 
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Nobody can ever replace The Duke, two of my favorites were Stagecoach and Angel and the Badman. Favorite line was "fill your hand you son of a bitch" from True Grit.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

People Like This