Job Possibilities?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Job Possibilities?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Job Possibilities?

So. When my time in the Marine Corps ends, no earlier than 2016, my wife and I are considering moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I have been to Texas before, but never for a job. She has family about four hours north, near Oklahoma City, and I have relatives in Forth Worth. Otherwise we might move to near Oklahoma City.

These seem to be mostly 2A friendly states, and there are other things that attract us to them.

Here's my question for y'all who might be familiar with either area.

I've been looking online to get an idea of the job market and what types of things might be available to me in Dallas. I haven't started looking for OK yet.

I am mostly interested in a job as a civilian defense contractor of some sort. It doesn't have to be terribly thrilling. I have a rather specialized skill set.

Right now however the most important aspect is the pay. I don't like saying that, because I thoroughly believe in doing something I enjoy, but right now I'd like to find as good of a paying job as I can, for my family's sake. So I don't mind biting the bullet for a few years while we save up more money and maybe working towards a $0 balance on the mortgage (we don't own a house yet). Later on I can do fun stuff that I'm interested in, if I want to.

So what are some suggestions for jobs? I wouldn't mind joining the police force, but that isn't very good pay from what I understand. I have looked at some airlines, because their pay isn't terrible for certain jobs, and you can fly your family all over the country (with Southwest, anyway). So that's a neat perk.

Honestly though if there are decent defense contracting opportunities in Dallas/FW or Oklahoma City, I'd like to do that.

Any ideas?

If you actually know of some jobs and are interested in my qualifications, send me a PM. Otherwise lets hear your suggestions!

Oh and for what its worth, my wife intends to be an RN by the time we're down there. She's pretty close already. But I'd still need to work!

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #2

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I suggestion -- you'll enjoy living in Fort Worth a lot more than Dallas.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Here some info about the FWPD, and I agree. Move to Fort Worth, or one of the cities close to it. Dallas is crazy. North Richland Hills used to be a good area. Not sure about now.

http://www.fortworthpd.com/recruiting/salary-benefits.aspx

Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys. So what's so bad about the Dallas area? Is it just too big and congested?

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Thanks guys. So what's so bad about the Dallas area? Is it just too big and congested?
The traffic is horrible. Fort Worth and Arlington aren't exactly great, but it's not Dallas either (Which is why I recommended you look at an area like North Richland Hills which are suburbs, and not far from Fort Worth).

https://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&hl=en&q=north%20richland%20hills%20tx&ba v=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.51495398,d.aWM,pv.xjs.s.en_US.M4-36_38X9A.O&biw=1188&bih=585&wrapid=tlif13782649787 2811&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

Quote:
I-20, I-30, and I-45 are the source of much frustration for residents deep in the heart of Texas. The 12 counties that make up the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metropolitan area have a total population of around 6.3-million. It is also the fastest growing metro area in the country.

If you don't mind the traffic, I say go for it. It would drive me crazy though.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-04-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

The traffic is horrible. Fort Worth and Arlington aren't exactly great, but it's not Dallas either (Which is why I recommended you look at North Richland Hills which are suburbs, and not far from Fort Worth).

https://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&hl=en&q=north%20richland%20hills%20tx&ba v=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.51495398,d.aWM,pv.xjs.s.en_US.M4-36_38X9A.O&biw=1188&bih=585&wrapid=tlif13782649787 2811&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

If you don't mind the traffic, I say go for it. It would drive me crazy though.
That's rough. Quick aside - is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal in Texas? I've heard it is.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
That's rough. Quick aside - is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal in Texas? I've heard it is.
Not sure, but people do it.

Was in Arlington a couple weeks ago and traffic was bad. Saw a guy on a motorcycle ride the line in between the cars going pretty dang fast. NOT recommended.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-04-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #8

I found this.

Quote:
A special note about lane splitting

In spite of several “lane splitting” bills having been introduced in different sessions of the Texas Legislature, to date none has been signed into law. The concept of “lane sharing” is not specifically addressed by existing Texas statute, so lane-splitting is neither specifically permitted, nor prohibited. A lane-splitting rider stopped by a peace officer will be subject to the interpretation of the peace officer at the time.

However, Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) has decided to broadly interpret an existing statute so that lane-splitting falls under it, and is illegal. But is the language is so vague in their assertion, it buggers the question whether it’s legal to apply a statute so broadly.
http://ridetexas.com/Dynamic/texasmotorcyclelaws/

Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

JW, i lived in the Grand Prairie area of Dallas many years ago and worked in downtown Dallas. drove right past Dealey Plaza everday on my way to work. i would visit Ft Worth quite a bit when i lived there and hung out around the Stockyards District a lot.

Ft. Worth is much less congested and much easier to navigate. if i had to make a choice, i would probably live closer to Ft. Worth rather than Dallas.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Interesting.

It's legal here (the one good thing about Kalifornia) but very dangerous. I only do it when traffic is bumper-to-bumper. And when I do, I go barely faster than the cars.

Was just asking because if traffic is really that bad in Dallas I would just ride my bike as much as possible and "white-line."

If the law is that ambiguous I simply won't do it.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This