Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > jeeps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default jeeps

Anybody into jeeps on here? Been thinking about getting one to play in. My buddy bought wrangler rubicon 4- door the other day and i thought it was cool. Id like to find an older one for a couple grand, a softop preferably. Just wondering if there were any jeepsters on here to give me advice.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Get a Scout!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Yeah i like those too, a guy at work has a 97 wrangler that he might be sellin, needs a transfer case. Are they expensive or difficult to change?

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

I've got a '46 CJ2A. Great little toy. What do you plan on doing with it? I don't wheel mine too hard but it will go just about anywhere. I also have an Early Bronco and my son is building up a Full-Size Bronco. You might take a look at The CJ2A Page Forums for some info on really old Jeeps. Great forum with some really nice people, much like this one.

My '46 turns heads every single time I am driving it and has been the catalyst for some really great (if not brief sometimes) conversations. When we are traveling in the RV we tow it on an open trailer behind the rig, almost every time we stop anywhere for any reason it strikes up a conversation with somebody. More often than not we will pull up and park at a Wal=Mart or whatever and as we are getting out somebody will walk up and my wife will say "I'll go ahead and catch up with you back here when I'm done shopping." It never fails that that is exactly what happens. An hour or so later I am still rag chewing out there when she gets done shopping.

I highly recommend one of the older more unique Jeeps out there. I looked at several when I bought mine and one of the other s that got high marks from me was the CJ6 which is a long-wheelbase Jeep. I still want to pick one of those up.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

My son wants a used Wrangler (2-door) and I'm thinking about a Liberty 4x4. If anyone has suggestions on what models or years to avoid, please post!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Got me a 95 zj with a 5.2, IRO 3" lift, np231 swap, thorley headers, and a kolak exhaust.

It's a fun toy

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Yeah i like those too, a guy at work has a 97 wrangler that he might be sellin, needs a transfer case. Are they expensive or difficult to change?
T-Case is not at all hard to replace. You might check into a different case though, some of them are garbage. Stay away from anything that is a full-time 4WD T-Case. If you want to do some hard-core 4 wheeling you should look into something like an Atlas, or perhaps a Dana 20 with Bronco low range. Depending on what you replace it with you might have to have the driveshafts altered.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #8

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
They can be costly and usually arnt hard to change but I never worked on anything that new... (The "newest" 4x4 ive had was a Samurai)

Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #9

I wont be wheeling it too hard but i will do some trail riding. I like the four dour wranglers because i have one kid and do plan on having more in the future. Wranglers are really the only jeeps i like, i want a softop with pop off doors. My buddies rubicon is hardtop but you can pick and chose which sections of the roof you want to remove as well as all the doors.

If the boss (wife) lets me id like to buy an older one thats ready to go for a couple k and keep my pickup but if i get a newer four door ill sell my pickup. If i keep my pu and get an older two door model then i wouldnt be scared to ford a creek or wheel it a little harder. Just wont wanna tear up my ride to work

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Wrangle are usually 10k starting. Unless you're going REALLY old. You might look into the Cherokee instead. 3k and you can get one as loaded as they came, then you won't feel bad cutting into it, rolling it, or leaving it on the trail for a few days until things dry out enough to recover it. You'll certainly get your moneys worth and they have enough mods now that you can make them do almost anything you want.

Just another point of attack to consider.

EXPENDABLE