Jeep tried to cheat me. What would you do? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jeep tried to cheat me. What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1039 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Quote:
My Mechanic is local, has his own shop and isnt actually the best but he's pretty good, reasonable and doesnt lie to me or my wife. He's told us more than once, cant find the problem, no charge, bring it back when its happening more often or "you better take that somewhere else".
THAT, IMO, is a respectable spot. I have a similar mechanic. One time, I had a caliper go bad. I said to him, "replace both". He argued with me saying there was nothing wrong with the other one. Ultimately, he would have done it, but he didn't want to, so I didn't. He has also in the past let me know he didn't want to do a job, instead of taking it and either doing a crappy or half-ass job.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 08-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

bottom line is, i detest dishonesty and fraud from a business. i detest a business taking advantage of people's lack of understanding of something they own. i have seen it happen in many auto repair shops as well as the dealerships. frankly i refuse to be a part of it. when fraud and dishonesty are part of your operating procedures to make money, it tells volumes about the people's character that own the business.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 419 Times on 278 Posts

Take it to the dealership GM and owner. This may have been the result of one bad mechanic, or one crooked department within the dealership. Think of it as doing a favor as a concerned customer. If the GM and Owner are honest they'll thank you, and clean up their shop. If they are dishonest just take your business elsewhere. And spread the word politely and honestly. A BBB complaint is a good start.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #34

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

There are multiple problems with the automotive repair business that usually boils down to how the mechanic gets paid. Large chains like Sears, Walmart, quick lube shops, etc., often pay a low hourly wage and a commission on the amount of parts and services sold per vehicle. The more you buy, the more the mechanic will earn for that service on your vehicle. If a mechanic doesn't meet the minimum "quota" they are given, they are history. "More, more, more.... faster, faster, faster....." This of course transforms a lot of people into thieves by selling work that isn't needed, in order to keep their jobs. More often it is just simple greed. The business makes more money as well as the mechanic. Management turns a blind eye to it. If caught in the act, the management blames it on the mechanic, fires them to make it look good, and another body takes their place. Back to business as usual.

Dealership mechanics work on "flat rate". There are no commissions paid for selling extra parts. It's all based on time. If the book calls for 2.2 hours to do a particular job, that is what the customer gets charged for. If the mechanic gets the job done in 1 hour, he/she still gets paid for 2.2 hrs labor. If there are unforeseen problems while doing the job (broken bolts, stripped threads, hard to reach areas, etc.) and it takes the mechanic FOUR hours to complete the work - the customers still pays for 2.2 hrs and the mechanic only gets paid for 2.2 hrs for the job. Here again is where the problem occurs. The mechanics that are greedy thieves will take every short cut possible to cut down on the actual time spent doing the job. The dealership wants this as well. "More, more, more.... faster, faster, faster....." LABOR is where their profit comes from. Fast sloppy work, skipping steps along the way just to be able to get it out the door and on to the next job. The real thieves don't do the work at all. But those are the ones that thrive in some dealerships because they are making the company the most PROFIT, and management pretends they don't know what is going on as long as the money rolls in. I nearly got fired once for complaining about it to a service manager. That's when I knew what was really going on. The guy in question was regularly taking home a paycheck for 100+ hours when he was only physically there for 30 - 40 hours during the week. Funny thing is, when the customers came back with problems with their cars after he worked on them - they always scheduled them to come back on his day off, and the other mechanics got stuck with fixing them correctly for FREE.

You want find an HONEST mechanic to work on your car? Simple. Go in and ask for the guy that takes home the SMALLEST paycheck in the shop - you'll probably find him. Been there done that.
<rant off>

Last edited by Highpower; 08-24-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: missed the spacebar
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 157 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Jeeps are cheap compared to a "Benze" dealership! My wife took her Mercedes SUV in for a 10,000 mile service(oil change etc.) and she asked what the cost,and the service writer said $610.00 plus tax........Awwwggggggggg! Well, I called another dealership in another town ,and the service rep said: $160.00......I called our dealer and asked him if I should report this action to the Benze folks....(hey make them here in 'Bama)....mistake! ..."Come on back $157.50"......BTW my Jeep dealer is tops! No B.S.! So is my Ford dealer!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I took my wife's jeep in for a differential fluid change, oil change and tire rotation.

I will start by saying I am a fully qualified mechanic when it comes to those issues and many more. But her Jeep is under warranty. I wanted a record of maintenance done by the shop. There was a time that if you took your car to Sears or American Car Care to have these jobs done, It would have been me doing it.

Anyway they told me over the phone when I made the appointment that the differential service would be $60 per axle. The oil change was $36. And the tire rotation was $12.00. That sounds to me to be about $168 plus tax. But we will get back to that. They called my wife even though I asked them to call me if it needed anything. They told her that her rear brakes were down to 2mm. They told her it was urgent for her to get it done asap. I was standing there when they called her. I took the phone and told them I would take care of it myself. (I have done brakes professionally as well.) Then they got nasty and told me that it was also due for a tune up. Due to the fact that this is a 2012 I asked what was invloved in a tune up. They said "Spark Plugs". I asked how much. $160. Yea. $160 for 6 spark plugs. I said no thanks. I will do that too. I spent less than an hour doing the spark plugs. That includes the time I spent watching youtube videos to see how the coil packs come off. They have a weird bolt that you have to pry up with a screwdriver after you unscrew them. I didn't want to break anything. Next was the brakes. I was pissed! The thinnest pad was 8 or 9 mm thick. They still had 3/4 of their thickness left. They were going to charge me $205 for an urgent brake job that was a bald faced lie! I changed them anyway. I already had the wheels off and one brake disassembled. I have the old brakes in the box. I am thinking of taking them down to the dealer and calling him a liar to his face. Oh yea. My final bill for the $168 plus tax came out to $231.

What would you do?

When I lived in Nevada the Attorney Generals office had a consumer protection bureau the you reported such things to. They did sting operations based on who they received complaints about. They could asses severe penalties, and take criminal actions against repeat offenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #37

Liked 215 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My brother had an oil change done at a shop years ago, a truck that my stepfather had been taking care of for years, but brother couldn't get over to where Pop was. A few days later the engine burned up - the oil filter and pan were full of grass and dirt. He missed his paramedic test due to that. I found one good mechanic locally. Waiting room is a chair with one wobbly leg, oil smears on the mismatched tile floor, bare bulb hanging on a wire...and all the equipment is high quality and well taken care of. They just don't waste money of frills. The mechanic also pointed out things that OTHER shops will try to rip me off on, and made sure i knew what parts were doing very well and needed no work, so the next guy didn't try to rip me off.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #38
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I took my wife's jeep in for a differential fluid change, oil change and tire rotation.

I will start by saying I am a fully qualified mechanic when it comes to those issues and many more. But her Jeep is under warranty. I wanted a record of maintenance done by the shop. There was a time that if you took your car to Sears or American Car Care to have these jobs done, It would have been me doing it.

Anyway they told me over the phone when I made the appointment that the differential service would be $60 per axle. The oil change was $36. And the tire rotation was $12.00. That sounds to me to be about $168 plus tax. But we will get back to that. They called my wife even though I asked them to call me if it needed anything. They told her that her rear brakes were down to 2mm. They told her it was urgent for her to get it done asap. I was standing there when they called her. I took the phone and told them I would take care of it myself. (I have done brakes professionally as well.) Then they got nasty and told me that it was also due for a tune up. Due to the fact that this is a 2012 I asked what was invloved in a tune up. They said "Spark Plugs". I asked how much. $160. Yea. $160 for 6 spark plugs. I said no thanks. I will do that too. I spent less than an hour doing the spark plugs. That includes the time I spent watching youtube videos to see how the coil packs come off. They have a weird bolt that you have to pry up with a screwdriver after you unscrew them. I didn't want to break anything. Next was the brakes. I was pissed! The thinnest pad was 8 or 9 mm thick. They still had 3/4 of their thickness left. They were going to charge me $205 for an urgent brake job that was a bald faced lie! I changed them anyway. I already had the wheels off and one brake disassembled. I have the old brakes in the box. I am thinking of taking them down to the dealer and calling him a liar to his face. Oh yea. My final bill for the $168 plus tax came out to $231.

What would you do?
I would and report them for un-fair business practice to BBB. It seems even the corporate headquarters does not care either.

I have a friend would purchased a Jeep Latitude, if I remember correctly, he got sucked into getting the backup camera, the model he has does not offer a backup camera. The radio has a problem and jeep management said, "So what" and will not order a new radio under the warranty. This is coming from my friend. I will ask him the status next time I see him.

I had my run in's with Dodge and Chrysler of the past, back in the mid-80's.

Ford screwed my mom over with the vehicle she had, the brakes were warped and you can tell, they charged her and did not do any work.

I had the Ford a few years later, the wife at the time had a neighbor Lincoln/Mercury screw over dealership look at, their cost new engine 7K cost factor - Red Flags rolled up the flag pole on that one. They advised the vehicle needed a new engine, because of the leak. Turns out the Time belt, water pump and the standard tune-up was only thing required.

After the tune-up, I took a trip to BBB and filed a complaint, then went to the dealership with a supervisor and another individual as witness. I told the management of their rip off practice they tried too pull and complaint was filed. The service manager tried to get into a confrontation, I had witness. I said do it and you will be suited! Wish I had a go-pro then!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #39

Liked 215 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The explosion of the internet and social media really can hurt a business, BUT, BUT, make sure that when you sign your contract there isn't a legally binding line that states you can't go tell it on the mountain when you get hosed. There was a lawsuit over that some time ago, never heard the conclusion of that. IANAL, and some states may not allow that exclusion.