Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jeep towing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Default Jeep towing

Ok jeep owners!! I'd like some help about towing. I have the hitch attached from the factory or by the previous owner of my 2004 Liberty. It's the 4x4 trail rated model with the 3.7 auto transmission. It seems that it's only rated class one according to the manual, but that doesn't seem right. Any of you know for sure? Class two sounds better, but the manual indicates you need the five speed. I don't want to ruin the transmission towing stuff too heavy for it. Thanks to those who respond.

9x18=Makarov

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think that Jeep offer the "towing package" that include shoter gears (ring and pinion)... if the hitch came from factory is probable that have the "towing package" installed... if that's the case is a class II or III hitch

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have an '05 Liberty and towed my 2001 VW Beetle Turbo to California. Kind of a rocky ride as the Beetle weighs nearly what the Liberty does. I just had to get used to the feeling it was trying to steer from the wrong end. You're receiver hitch is 2", therefore at least Class II.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Putting on a transmission cooler will extend the life of the transmission. A good idea for anyone towing with a auto transmission.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

An automatic liberty with the 3.7 should be rated for a towing capacity of 5000# when properly equiped. Can you give us some more details about the hitch that is attached to your vehicle? Is it a 2" square receiver or a 1-1/4" square receiver?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's the two inch. I never really noticed as I haven't had need to haul anything before. I don't see any markings on it or tags, so I'd say it's been on there for a while. I'll inspect it tomorrow.

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well if it is a two inch receiver chances are it's gonna be stronger than the vehicle it's attached to. What are you looking to tow? We could then let you know if you may be pushing the vehicles capabilities or if it would be worth adding a tranny cooler. Utilitiy trailers and boats won't give you any problems. Towing another vehicle will probably be fine if you need to, but I wouldn't make it a regular occurance. Just keep in mind that you have a short wheel base vehicle. Even though the suspension, frame, and drivetrain may be up to some heavier trailers, the shorter wheel base makes towing (at least in my opinion) a bit more finnicky than a vehicle with a longer wheel base.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #8

Quote:
An automatic liberty with the 3.7 should be rated for a towing capacity of 5000#
I'd question that number, that's what my diesel Liberty is rated for and it has one heck of a lot more transmission. Owners manual is outside in the vehicle or I would look it up.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
I'd question that number, that's what my diesel Liberty is rated for and it has one heck of a lot more transmission. Owners manual is outside in the vehicle or I would look it up.
The gas model uses the same transmission that's in the Durango, Dakota, and all of Chrysler/Dodge newer full size RWD sedans. The drive train isn't the limiting factor in the KJ's towing capacity.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I don't have a jeep (i'm a pickup man myself) but my wife has a Ford Escape and I've towed alot of trailers in the last few years. Her Escape which is about the same size of a Liberty has a Class I towing package equipped from the factory. I know this because the original window sticker that came attached to the car when we bought it used has towing package marked under the options area. If I were you I'd look on your window sticker if you have it, depends on whether the 1st owner kept it or not. Since a towing package costs a little more, it'll be marked on the options.

I would go with what the manual says if you don't have the window sticker just to be safe and not sorry, a tranny costs a lot of money. I don't really even see the point in buying a vehicle with a Class I towing package from the factory, cause they are so light duty you'll exceed it not even trying. My 01' Dakota with just a ball on the rear bumber can handle a bigger trailer than a Class I towing package. I do most of my heavy towing with my 88' Ford F-150 cause it has a Class 3 towing package on it and have towed as much as 10,500 lbs with it.

I wouldn't exceed what the manual says.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 03-18-2009 at 03:32 AM.