Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Jeep towing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/jeep-towing-11941/)

ScottG 03-17-2009 06:35 PM

Jeep towing

Ok jeep owners!! I'd like some help about towing. I have the hitch attached from the factory or by the previous owner of my 2004 Liberty. It's the 4x4 trail rated model with the 3.7 auto transmission. It seems that it's only rated class one according to the manual, but that doesn't seem right. Any of you know for sure? Class two sounds better, but the manual indicates you need the five speed. I don't want to ruin the transmission towing stuff too heavy for it. Thanks to those who respond.

AsmelEduardo 03-17-2009 07:09 PM

I think that Jeep offer the "towing package" that include shoter gears (ring and pinion)... if the hitch came from factory is probable that have the "towing package" installed... if that's the case is a class II or III hitch

dunerunner 03-17-2009 07:33 PM

I have an '05 Liberty and towed my 2001 VW Beetle Turbo to California. Kind of a rocky ride as the Beetle weighs nearly what the Liberty does. I just had to get used to the feeling it was trying to steer from the wrong end. You're receiver hitch is 2", therefore at least Class II.

divinginn 03-17-2009 09:20 PM

Putting on a transmission cooler will extend the life of the transmission. A good idea for anyone towing with a auto transmission.

mpd8488 03-18-2009 12:32 AM

An automatic liberty with the 3.7 should be rated for a towing capacity of 5000# when properly equiped. Can you give us some more details about the hitch that is attached to your vehicle? Is it a 2" square receiver or a 1-1/4" square receiver?

ScottG 03-18-2009 01:47 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the two inch. I never really noticed as I haven't had need to haul anything before. I don't see any markings on it or tags, so I'd say it's been on there for a while. I'll inspect it tomorrow.

mpd8488 03-18-2009 02:45 AM

Well if it is a two inch receiver chances are it's gonna be stronger than the vehicle it's attached to. What are you looking to tow? We could then let you know if you may be pushing the vehicles capabilities or if it would be worth adding a tranny cooler. Utilitiy trailers and boats won't give you any problems. Towing another vehicle will probably be fine if you need to, but I wouldn't make it a regular occurance. Just keep in mind that you have a short wheel base vehicle. Even though the suspension, frame, and drivetrain may be up to some heavier trailers, the shorter wheel base makes towing (at least in my opinion) a bit more finnicky than a vehicle with a longer wheel base.

bgeddes 03-18-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

An automatic liberty with the 3.7 should be rated for a towing capacity of 5000#
I'd question that number, that's what my diesel Liberty is rated for and it has one heck of a lot more transmission. Owners manual is outside in the vehicle or I would look it up.

mpd8488 03-18-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddes (Post 83586)
I'd question that number, that's what my diesel Liberty is rated for and it has one heck of a lot more transmission. Owners manual is outside in the vehicle or I would look it up.

The gas model uses the same transmission that's in the Durango, Dakota, and all of Chrysler/Dodge newer full size RWD sedans. The drive train isn't the limiting factor in the KJ's towing capacity.

dragunovsks 03-18-2009 03:29 AM

I don't have a jeep (i'm a pickup man myself) but my wife has a Ford Escape and I've towed alot of trailers in the last few years. Her Escape which is about the same size of a Liberty has a Class I towing package equipped from the factory. I know this because the original window sticker that came attached to the car when we bought it used has towing package marked under the options area. If I were you I'd look on your window sticker if you have it, depends on whether the 1st owner kept it or not. Since a towing package costs a little more, it'll be marked on the options.

I would go with what the manual says if you don't have the window sticker just to be safe and not sorry, a tranny costs a lot of money. I don't really even see the point in buying a vehicle with a Class I towing package from the factory, cause they are so light duty you'll exceed it not even trying. My 01' Dakota with just a ball on the rear bumber can handle a bigger trailer than a Class I towing package. I do most of my heavy towing with my 88' Ford F-150 cause it has a Class 3 towing package on it and have towed as much as 10,500 lbs with it.

I wouldn't exceed what the manual says.