Jeep question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jeep question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
WOW those bearings are smoked huh. Prob why the carrier fell right out. By the looks of those I would be looking at the pinion bearings also.

Did this thing run low on fluid for a while ??
The oil was a little thin, but it was still clear. The pinion still feels solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Definately check those pinion bearings if your going to rebuild this. You'll need to get a new crush sleeve for the pinion now. How does the ring and pinion gears look? Spyders and sides?
The spider and side gears still look fine and feel nice and smooth.

The bad news is the the t-case has a huge crack in it on the back side of the front output bearings, which is now obviously the cause of the original noise. I'm wondering if this damage didn't come from when my wife was rear ended.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

With a race like that there is no wonder it was making noise. You can really go two ways here. If the pinion bearings are still in good shape you could leave them in and just replace the carrier bearings. Personally, I think I would just go ahead and rebuild the thing, all that metal had to go somewhere and I would hate to do the job twice.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I discovered this while I was under there to pull the front drive shaft:

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That doesn't look good at all!! That could be the cause of all your problems. I assume you're going to change that T-case....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
That doesn't look good at all!! That could be the cause of all your problems. I assume you're going to change that T-case....
I've got a '93 that I'm going to pull the t-case from. Its a different model t-case though, so all of the linkage and the shift gate will all need to be swapped too.

I'm tempted to get a 2wd tail shift housing and drive haft from a junk yard.

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 10-12-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #26

Liked 357 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If you have trouble finding the parts you need from your local junk yards for your Jeep there is a place here just out of Sacramento Ca. called J&W Jeep Parts. They are dismantlers and have pretty good prices, they also will ship.

Heres their info: J&W Jeep Parts, 8626 Antelope Road, Antelope CA.
Phone # (916) 723-3950

This place is chuck full of Jeeps and Jeep parts of all kinds.

Theres another dismantler in Oroville Ca. off Hwy 70 which I can't remember their name but have alot of used jeep parts as well.

These two places saved my butt more times than I can count for parts when I used to have a '67 J3000.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I would definitely at least look at the pinion bearings. With the damage you had to the races on the carrier you most likely have some damage to the front pinion bearing. That is usually the first to go being the highest in the case and the first to starve for oil. Its worth the price of a crush collar and seal to at least have a look at it.

As for the transfer case that crack doesn't look good but not too bad either.
Why I say that is its not in a structural part of the case and there doesn't seem to be any oil seeping from it nor does it look like anything has impacted it. Could be just a bad casting. If it were mine I would get the rear axle back together which I'm sure was VERY loud. Then I would drain the t-case oil and see how that looks and make sure there is not metal coming out or on the plug. Then if that looks good I would fill it with fresh fluid and spin it up on jacks to see if it has any abnormal noises coming from it and drive it and see how it sounds. Judging from the generic bolt holding the case together in your pic someone has had it apart before and may have damaged it then

Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I would definitely at least look at the pinion bearings. With the damage you had to the races on the carrier you most likely have some damage to the front pinion bearing. That is usually the first to go being the highest in the case and the first to starve for oil. Its worth the price of a crush collar and seal to at least have a look at it.

As for the transfer case that crack doesn't look good but not too bad either.
Why I say that is its not in a structural part of the case and there doesn't seem to be any oil seeping from it nor does it look like anything has impacted it. Could be just a bad casting. If it were mine I would get the rear axle back together which I'm sure was VERY loud. Then I would drain the t-case oil and see how that looks and make sure there is not metal coming out or on the plug. Then if that looks good I would fill it with fresh fluid and spin it up on jacks to see if it has any abnormal noises coming from it and drive it and see how it sounds. Judging from the generic bolt holding the case together in your pic someone has had it apart before and may have damaged it then
Those bearings and race are from the front axle. That crack in the t-case is from the gear hitting it. When it finally went, my wife said it sounded like a gun shot and the rig wouldn't move any more. I moved it a few feet back and forth to see if it was the front axle or not, after pulling the guts out of the front axle and I could feel that the bearings in the t-case were uber-****ed, its really bound up

Roger Waters

Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

oh well thats a whole different story lol ya she's prob toast lol

I thought you had the rear axle apart