Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jeep question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally hate Jeeps. I got one when I married my wife. I've worked on several and haven't found anything about them I like. Good luck with the project!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I personally hate Jeeps. I got one when I married my wife. I've worked on several and haven't found anything about them I like. Good luck with the project!
The only thing that I've found that limits my little Cherokees is ground clearance and the lack of lockers. I successfully took my '93 through things that I had no business trying in a stock rig. The worst was navigating down a 10 foot waterfall, where I spent most of the time on 2 or 3 wheels.

My '93 was still in good running condition when I started to strip it for parts, even after over 200k miles. I pulled the head to begin tearing the motor out for a stroker build, only to find that the cross hatching in the cylinders was still present. The valve train and con rods were still in perfect condition, even after the engine had sucked water twice.

My '93 was bullet proof. I have no idea why the '99 is falling apart, its been a pavement queen it's whole life.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 10-11-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You either love 'em or you hate 'em. I love my TJ and the 4.0L under the hood. I don't do enough off roading in it to justify spending the money right now to do an axle swap. Guess I'll deal with that when/if I ever break the Dana 35.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronguyton View Post
You either love 'em or you hate 'em. I love my TJ and the 4.0L under the hood. I don't do enough off roading in it to justify spending the money right now to do an axle swap. Guess I'll deal with that when/if I ever break the Dana 35.
When/if you look to upgrade your rear axle look for a late model XJ. The Chrysler 8.25 will come cheaper than a D44 and is arguably stronger than a Ford 8.8.

It will take some fabrication skill to get it to work though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Matt are you sure your xj will drive with the front drive shaft disconnected? I know some of the older FSJ quadra-trac transfer cases wouldnt with shaft off due to the differential in the case. Not sure about what you've got.

I love jeeps, About all my family owns are jeeps.
The xj's are great runners and seem to run forever. About the only prob we've had with the 4.0 is rear seal starts to leak around 200k.

My fav jeep is my 84 J10 shortbed with cut fenders 5in lift, 35in MTR's
360, T18,Np208, D44 ft/D60 rr out of a J20.
I built it to run 38-40in tires but need to regear and lock my 3.73 rearends first.
Bodys now bad, either got a lot of bodywork to do or thinking about swapping whole drivetrain into a CJ or TJ
Still looking for a 401AMC
Did I mention I love Jeeps

Old 10-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Matt are you sure your xj will drive with the front drive shaft disconnected? I know some of the older FSJ quadra-trac transfer cases wouldnt with shaft off due to the differential in the case. Not sure about what you've got.
The t-case in an NP242, which has a full time setting, but also a 2wd setting. When the t-case is in 2wd, the front isn't engaged. However, due to the unit bearing hub design, the front axle is always "engaged", like having your hubs locked in on a traditional hub style axle. Because of this, there is always a load on the front differential, as it is always engaged and turning.

Roger Waters

Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Just thought Id bring it up.
My dad bought an older j10 a few years back. The guy said QT transfer case went out. Changed it and said that case was bad too. He never hooked up front driveshaft when he tried it. Dad got a smoking deal hooked up the front shaft and drove it home.
Wasn't sure how the 242 was set up. Good to know.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The carrier just fell right out, I didn't even need a pry bar. What I previously thought was a crack in the housing is just a minor casting imperfection where the cover bolts to the case. The wear on the axle shafts appears to be minor and caused by wearing on the axle seals. The axle seals look like someone took a jack hammer to them.

The bearing are definitely hosed though, these pictures are of the long side bearings and race:

Sorry about them being so big, but low res pics just didn't do them justice.

Roger Waters

Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

WOW those bearings are smoked huh. Prob why the carrier fell right out. By the looks of those I would be looking at the pinion bearings also.

Did this thing run low on fluid for a while ??

Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #20

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Definately check those pinion bearings if your going to rebuild this. You'll need to get a new crush sleeve for the pinion now. How does the ring and pinion gears look? Spyders and sides?