Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Jeep question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/jeep-question-18951/)

matt g 10-08-2009 05:16 PM

Jeep question

I know there are several Jeep guys on here and I'm not getting much info over at Jeep Forum, so I'm posing the question here.

The carrier bearings in the Dana 30 on my '99 Cherokee **** the bed yesterday. I'm planning to pull the drive shaft, differential carrier and axle shafts. I'm then going to reinstall the stub shafts and carrier bearings, so I can still run the vehicle.

My question is, am I going to be able to get the diff carrier out without using a case spreader or is a spreader absolutely necessary?

mrm14 10-09-2009 12:04 AM

If it is similar to the Dana 44 you can wiggle the carrier out with a couple of pry bars. Also note the thickness of the shims on both sides of carrier and replace exactly as they came out. The shims on both sides of the carrier determine the backlash of the ring and pinion. I assume you have a bearing splitter to remove the carrier bearings. If you have to remove the pinion gear you,ll need to get a new crush sleeve. Check the sides and spyders while your at it. If you lost the carrier bearings I hope the ring and pinion gears are O.K. It's been some years since I've rebuilt a Dana and I'm not sure if the Dana 30 will disassemble the same as the Dana 44, but I think it's close.

Kain 10-09-2009 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 171511)
My question is, am I going to be able to get the diff carrier out without using a case spreader or is a spreader absolutely necessary?

Yes, you pretty much have to have the case spreader.

ktmboyz 10-09-2009 11:47 AM

AS MRM stated you can do it with a couple of bars and pop the carrier out. Its been a while since I've done a jeep one but do ford regularly, aluminum and cast housings.

Yes its much easier with the spreader but you dont need it. I have used it once, but it always takes longer to find it and set it up IMO. Just hold a shim on each side of the carrier at a slight angle as you put it in. You have to kinda wedge it in as an assy. Don't put one shim then the carrier and try to tap the other shim in because you will prob crack or split it before it gets all the way in.

spittinfire 10-09-2009 12:30 PM

Matt, I just pulled the gears out of a Jeep last weekend, Dana 30 and 44. You can get both out without using a case spreader. Would a spreader make it easier? Sure, but it's not required. I've done this with Dana 35s too.
You can pop them out with a large screwdriver and tap them back in with a rubber deadblow or something. Just me smart about what you pry against and if you hurt a carrier with a rubber hammer you need to put all tools down immediately and walk away.

matt g 10-09-2009 04:18 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

cameronguyton 10-10-2009 01:27 AM

If all else fails, oxyacetylene!

:D

matt g 10-10-2009 10:29 PM

The bearings are completely hosed. They almost took the shafts out when they went. The diff housing is cracked too.

Looks like its time to start tearing into the '93.

spittinfire 10-10-2009 10:36 PM

What the heck did you do to cause that kind of carnage???

matt g 10-10-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 172430)
What the heck did you do to cause that kind of carnage???

Drove it with the rattle for 3 months.

I'm not sure what did the case damage but something was walking around quite a bit.