Jeep owner thread - Page 32
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Jeep owner thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Rockratt, I have a question for ya and really for all you Jeepers. How do you feel about 3.73 gears in a '11 JKU running on a 3.5" lift with an upgraded driveshaft? Plan to get 4.88 around October but until then..

America doesn't need a Marine Corps, they want one
Not a Jeeper but, what size tire? That is what you really need to look at when selecting gears. Also how you will use it most, mainly offroad I would put a lower ratio than in a daily driver.

If you do a search there are all kinds of charts for selecting gears based on tire size
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 08-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #312

Liked 326 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

ZJ's rusty front doors replaced, battery took a dump, security triggered due to low V.......didn't like my doors (same connector, different pin out- so says tech). Swapped em yrs ago, but had new battery put in before that..........so never triggered security fault.

All was cool 'til low V attempt to start.

Tech cleared fault, so no big deal............unless it gets low V condition again.

So...........jumper wire to switch to temp ground out circuit should it happen.

I'm thinking no doors next yr anyway.

But a CJ is looking better all the time. Mine never left me stranded. Froze my arse off, but never left me friggin' stranded.

Last edited by Hookeye; 08-01-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #313

Old rule of 4.11 for 33's is a decent one.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #314

2 kids in college, looks like I might be running my junk low pinion D30 through deer season.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #315

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell_Sackett View Post
Not a Jeeper but, what size tire? That is what you really need to look at when selecting gears. Also how you will use it most, mainly offroad I would put a lower ratio than in a daily driver.

If you do a search there are all kinds of charts for selecting gears based on tire size

315/70R17 which are practically 35's. I use it for both. It's a daily driver during the week but I go to Big Bear about ever two weeks or so and play around off base the times I don't go. I've looked at the charts and forums and people have said my gears are fine and others not so much. I have 33's now and they seem to be holding up, except now they're bald and I need new ones

Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #316
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 597 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

I heard late yesterday that I should get my Jeep patriot back from the body shop by the end of next week, They had to order a part from the dealer that they are waiting on. I believe the rest of the parts were after market parts now.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #317
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1918 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Quote:
315/70R17 which are practically 35's. I use it for both. It's a daily driver during the week but I go to Big Bear about ever two weeks or so and play around off base the times I don't go. I've looked at the charts and forums and people have said my gears are fine and others not so much. I have 33's now and they seem to be holding up, except now they're bald and I need new ones

I would decide what tires I would be putting back on it and then figure my gear ratio from there. 4.56's with a 35 inch tire would give you the best of offroad and hi-way driving I would think. 4.88's will probably be a little low on the hi-way but they would work just fine. Keep in mind this is a guy that put 5.29's in an 85 Yota with 33 inch tires in my youth and it was a daily driver. There are a number of charts and formulas out there to figure it by.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #318
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

one thing i'll point out is that when you use the vehicle for two different purposes, one of those is going to be a compromise to some extent. the more highway capable the rig is, usually the less capable it is off-road and vice versa.

the more capable you make the rig for off-road, there usually is an increase in potential for parts breakage and increased wear and tear on various components. also the with that, goes fuel mileage being decreased.

you have to find a balance between the two if you have to use the vehicle for both purposes.
rockratt Likes This 
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #319
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 225 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
one thing i'll point out is that when you use the vehicle for two different purposes, one of those is going to be a compromise to some extent. the more highway capable the rig is, usually the less capable it is off-road and vice versa.

the more capable you make the rig for off-road, there usually is an increase in potential for parts breakage and increased wear and tear on various components. also the with that, goes fuel mileage being decreased.

you have to find a balance between the two if you have to use the vehicle for both purposes.
Which is exactly why I want to build a double transfer case for my cherokee. I have a Dana 300 that I was going use with a strong box from Behemoth Drivetrain. When all done it's about an inch shorter than the 242 currently installed. At least, that was the plan until I found out what is was going to cost. By the time I get a flip kit for D300, custom cable shifters, the strong box, and driveshaft mods....that ship sank. Would have made the brakes useless while idling in first. Ahhh, dreams.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #320
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1918 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpapa View Post
Which is exactly why I want to build a double transfer case for my cherokee. I have a Dana 300 that I was going use with a strong box from Behemoth Drivetrain. When all done it's about an inch shorter than the 242 currently installed. At least, that was the plan until I found out what is was going to cost. By the time I get a flip kit for D300, custom cable shifters, the strong box, and driveshaft mods....that ship sank. Would have made the brakes useless while idling in first. Ahhh, dreams.
A friend of mine builds doublers. You take the front half of a chain driven case and mate it to a gear driven case. Most common is a 203 front planetary to a 205 case. He was also doing some 241-300's at one time. Last I checked it was less than half the cost of a custom T-case such as an Atlas to go that route. Down side is the added length and weight hanging off the transmission. If they don't get the proper support they will break the tranny case.
As to the brake issue if you are talking about an auto shifter tranny driving thru the brakes, that is why they make stall converters..