Jeep owner thread - Page 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jeep owner thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
Ok, got my second Jeep this past September, it is a 2012 Patriot 4x4 version. My first Jeep was an old used 73 wagoner that would go anywhere. Here is a pic of the new one that I bought used.
Attachment 136329
Cool Airborne. Do you have any mods planned? I'm a little envious of the storage space you have

Old 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #172
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If you aren't familiar with Jeeps and the mods then I would say stick with your instincts. Any conversion has its idiosyncracies. Best not to buy what might be somebody else's problem and burn your enthusiasm right off the bat. Get a relatively stock one to start off with and then build from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post
I second these feelings.
Your thoughts about a 7 or Yj are a lot better. They are way more road friendly and off road friendly than the 5. Stock is nice but can also be a pia. A partially modded jeep would be a good jumping in point.

If the jeep feels sloppy and dangerous on a test drive I would avoid.(not sure how to describe what I'm saying. Not death wobble in particular. But body roll, steering slack and general sketchy feelings.) you will be able to feel a jeep out after test driving a couple if it is new to you.

Also be sure to check the frame where the spring mounts are in older jeeps. Rattlecan paint jobs will hide rust if you are not assertive.

Hope you find a great jeep! Don't forget to wave!
X3 Couldn't have said it any better viking dad... The plastic coat paint is probably there to hide rust. Floor pans in the front would tell that. As most have figured out I am a fan of discarding the factory Jeep parts and up grading but in order for it to be dependable it has to be done right and very few take the time or spend the money and it ain't cheap.
Never liked the hip knocker fender on the CJ5's and if you have no experience in one your probably not going to like it. I would wait for a CJ 7 or a YJ....

Last edited by rockratt; 02-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #173

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 925

... Or you could just buy a Scout and rock it the way it is!!

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #174

Liked 2403 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Thanks folks. I was checking other ads and found a few YJ jeeps that are less than a grand more. Most have the 4cyl engine though. I'd prefer an I6. I haven't seen many Scouts around, but my brother in law had one, and it was a tough SOB. I did see a 1968 Toyota Land Cruiser with a for sale sign parked outside a dinner the other day, but the owner left before I got out and got any info on it. I'd be open to one of those as well.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Thanks folks. I was checking other ads and found a few YJ jeeps that are less than a grand more. Most have the 4cyl engine though. I'd prefer an I6. I haven't seen many Scouts around, but my brother in law had one, and it was a tough SOB. I did see a 1968 Toyota Land Cruiser with a for sale sign parked outside a dinner the other day, but the owner left before I got out and got any info on it. I'd be open to one of those as well.
There was a time a few years ago(4-5) you could pick a YJ up considerably less than a CJ because they were considered the bastard child Jeep because of the square headlights. Not anymore. The ones I have looked at rescently are priced right up there with the CJ's.
Mine began life with a 4cyl. and a 5 speed and I did some pretty tough wheeling with that set up. I would take the 4 cyl with fuel injection over the 6 with a carb any day of the week.Just my .02 worth.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #176

Liked 2403 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
There was a time a few years ago(4-5) you could pick a YJ up considerably less than a CJ because they were considered the bastard child Jeep because of the square headlights. Not anymore. The ones I have looked at rescently are priced right up there with the CJ's.
Mine began life with a 4cyl. and a 5 speed and I did some pretty tough wheeling with that set up. I would take the 4 cyl with fuel injection over the 6 with a carb any day of the week.Just my .02 worth.
Yeah, I was thinking the fuel injection would be a big plus on any steep stuff, and at altitude. My 4runner is pretty much bone stock and does well on groomed trails, snow, and mud. Don't really want to use it as a rough country vehicle, partly because if the 4cyl, and lack of a locker. Plus, its my daily driver, so I'm keeping it, "civilized".

From what I've read, the 4.0 with injection would probably be the way to go.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #177
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Yeah it seems like alot of guys swap out the Carb on it. I guess the stock one tends to be an issue.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #178

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Yeah it seems like alot of guys swap out the Carb on it. I guess the stock one tends to be an issue.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
I think Im gonna try the MC 2100 on mine, I have a 4-bbl but its "too much"

It seems to be "the" jeep carb...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #179
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I think Im gonna try the MC 2100 on mine, I have a 4-bbl but its "too much"

It seems to be "the" jeep carb...
Have you tried rejetting the carb. I am assuming it is a 390 cfm holley and jets are pretty cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #180
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 2923

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
Cool Airborne. Do you have any mods planned? I'm a little envious of the storage space you have
I don't have much planned for it yet other than some new tires when I can afford them, more suited to some off road driving along with some highway driving. I also want to get a hitch and interior liners. I may do a lot more over time as the budget allows.