Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jeep owner thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 699 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 733

Man.. I get this thread going again, and nobody has any advice on my exhaust question?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #92

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Man.. I get this thread going again, and nobody has any advice on my exhaust question?
I had the 5.2 so all i know about the I6 exhaust is that the manifolds crack,sorry.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1657 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1251

Exhaust is a complicated issue and I am sure I will get flamed for this but here goes.
Many people believe that a more restrictive exhaust is better. I believe they are confusing back pressure with wave tuning. There are all sorts of pressure waves generated within the exhaust piping and sometimes a longer , smaller pipe works better versus 2.That is not always the case. Its the tuning of the pressure waves that delivers the benefit and a 258(I love those engines) can benefit with a single exhaust over 2 because of the low displacement.
However IMMHO all internal combustion engines generate there power from air/fuel. The more that flows thru (to a point) the engine the more torque and horsepower generated. I believe in as little restriction as possible from the breather to the exhaust tip.
End result of all this is you might get a little more torque by going back to a single exhaust but it's probably not going to be worth the dough to do so.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #94

Liked 699 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 733

Thanks ratt!

The engine is in my Scout, Its the 258 with the Clifford 6=8 package and a 4-bbl Holley Truck Avenger.

Currently I have the long style headers (the ones that go under the motor mount) and its a little beat up, so Ive been thinking about replacing it with the Clifford one. I just want to toss around some options before I decide if I want to change my exhaust or not...

What Ive read says the AMC 6's like the single exhaust because it "scavenges" the exhaust gases? What does that mean?

It wouldnt be that hard to go back to single exhaust, Im thinking just put in a Y-pipe and delete one side. What about a X or a H pipe?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #95

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This is based on the ricer side of automotive life, but the theory and such are explained well...

http://www.nsxprime.com/nsx-faq/exhaust-theory/

Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Trez, What it means is it will get rid of the spent (burnt)air/fuel mixture after combustion and it goes back to wave tuning. I will be the first to admit that adding duals to a inline 6 cylinder does very little to increase power in its stock form. However if you take your current setup and add a Competion cams 260H cam to it (and get there timing chain set with it) you'll almost think you have a v8 in that big heavy binder.
I spun a rod bearing in an 80 model CJ7 with a 258 once up on a time and when I rebuilt it I went back with this setup minus the 4 bbl carb. I used it to pull a 17ft bow rider boat and there was never a want for more power and I have some pretty good hills to pull.
Stopping was another matter but then again stock Jeep breaks aren't the best..
I have never run an X pipe but always run an H if there is room. Any type of cross over is beneficial.

Last edited by rockratt; 01-19-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #97
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

OK I obviously can't attach a pic right now. I've tried 4 times and the app crashed each time.
I still want some input. I'm looking to change out my shift knob. I found a pineapple grenade kicking around the other day and a 50 bmg case this morning. Which would you guys do? Got any better ideas or places I can order cooler stuff from?

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #98

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Put that grenade in the jeep for a day or two, and then grab it.. do you mind holding a huge ice cube in the winter? I was going to use an aluminum ball my father had made at work once for a shifter, but it was just too cold to use in this weather...

Old 01-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #99
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Never thought of that. Don't think It'll be much of an issue down south.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I tink I would go with the grenade. I have used motorcycle pistons, 8 balls(pool), keg handles and I am sure someother things I am forgetting. I think the grenade would be cool!!!!