Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 'Jailhouse Islam' converts gun down U.S. cops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 'Jailhouse Islam' converts gun down U.S. cops

'Jailhouse Islam' converts gun down U.S. cops
'This individual was very violent and was bent on killing someone'
Posted: February 17, 2009
8:49 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
WorldNetDaily

Officer John Pawlowski, gunned down by suspected 'jailhouse Islam' convert

After a man promised to murder a cop in cold blood and then shot him several times, authorities have revealed he is a suspected "jailhouse Islam" convert.

Rasheed Scrugs, 33, also known as Rasheed Abdulghaffer, shot Philadelphia Police Officer John Pawlowski, 25, with a .357 Magnum he hid in his black, three-quarter length jacket Feb. 13.

"Pawlowski didn't stand a chance," Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told Fox 29 News.

Detectives have been questioning Scrugs' prison friends to find out what motivation he had to kill the five-year veteran police officer. Scrugs reportedly planned to shoot at authorities when they responded to a report of a fight between him and a cab driver at 8:20 p.m.

"This individual was very violent and was bent on killing someone," Ramsey said.

Witness Manuel Dias, who works at a nearby newsstand, told detectives Scrugs said, "If you call the cop, I'll kill you and kill the cop."

The suspect then fired several shots at Pawlowski, hitting him above his bullet-proof vest. The officer fell to the ground, firing one shot before collapsing.

"As soon as the cop asked him to take his hand out of his pocket to give him something else, he just pulled the gun and shot the cop for no specific reason," Dias said.

Pawlowski's partner and another officer fired back and wounded Scrugs.

Rasheed Scrugs (photo: Fox 29 News)

The suspect refuses to cooperate with detectives. According to the report, he told hospital workers he was high on drugs. Authorities say Scruggs had 19 packets of crack and 19 extra bullets in his pockets.

"I can't believe I shot a cop," he allegedly told the staff.

"Well, he's a cold blooded killer is what he is, and he knew exactly what it is he wanted to do," Ramsey told Fox 29 News.

Ramsey said the killer is believed to have converted in prison to radical Islam, or "jailhouse Islam."

Scrugs has been arrested nine times for robbery, car theft, weapons offenses and drugs, according to court records. In 1997, he was convicted of armed robbery and sentenced to serve 10 years in prison. However, he was released in 2002, but when he violated parole in 2004, he returned to prison for another year.

Just hours before the shooting, FBI agents briefed Ramsey about radical Islam and its growing threat to law enforcement.

(Story continues below)

"This is a radical form where certainly committing crime and killing police officers and so forth is part of it," Ramsey said.

The FBI and local Philadelphia authorities are also investigating another case in which an officer was murdered by three bank robbers dressed in female Muslim garb – also suspected to be "jailhouse Islam" converts.

Sgt. Steve Liczbinski

Howard Cain and Levon Warner fired at Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, a 12-year veteran and father of three, with an SKS rifle, striking him several times May 3, 2008. Cain was killed by a K-9 officer while Warner was arrested and charged with murder, robbery, conspiracy and related offenses. Police arrested a third suspect, Eric Floyd, and found $38,000 in cash along with burqas in their vehicle.

"Since Steve Liczbinski got killed, this issue has really been something that has struck home here in Philadelphia," Ramsey told Fox 29.

On Sept. 19, 2006, Donald Van Duyn, deputy assistant director for the FBI counterterrorism division, testified before Congress about U.S. prisons presenting opportunities for the proselytizing of Sunni and Shia forms of radical Islam.

"Prison radicalization primarily occurs through anti-U.S. sermons provided by contract, volunteer, or staff imams, radicalized inmates who gain religious influence, and extremist media," he said. "Ideologies that radicalized inmates appear most often to embrace include or are influenced by the Salafi form of Sunni Islam (including revisionist versions commonly known as 'prison Islam') and an extremist view of Shia Islam similar to that of the government of Iran and Lebanese Hezbollah."

He said radicalized inmates may feel discriminated against in the U.S. or feel that the nation oppresses Muslims in other parts of the world.

"The feeling of perceived oppression, combined with their limited knowledge of Islam, especially for the converts, makes this a vulnerable population for extremists looking to radicalize and recruit," he said.

Howard Cain, Levon Warner and Eric Floyd

While Van Duyn said many prison converts don't present a threat to national security, some "use the call of Global Jihad as a source of inspiration to recruit others for the purpose of conducting terrorist attacks in the United States."

A comprehensive assessment based on a survey of nearly 3,000 state and local correctional facilities identified the following trends:

* Most cases of prison radicalization and recruitment appear to be originated by domestic extremists with few or no foreign connections.

* Some radicalized Islamic inmates are current or former members of street or prison gangs, indicating an emerging "crossover" trend from gang member to Islamist extremist.

* Radicalization activity levels appear to be higher in high population areas on the West Coast and in the northeastern United States.

While authorities continue to investigate Scrugs' suspected affiliation with "jailhouse Islam," officer Pawlowski, the fifth Philadelphia cop gunned down in the line of duty since 2006, leaves behind a wife who is five-months pregnant.

'Jailhouse Islam' converts gun down U.S. cops

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Arrested 9 times, sentenced to 10 years, released in 5, breaks parole, gets another one - then get's released so he can go and kill a cop in the name of Islam.

Am I the only here seeing a trend?!

Look folks - Let me spell it out for you stupid Liberal Pieces of Crap!!

Islam - By itself is bad news

Convicted Felons - released from prison, is bad news

If you put the TWO TOGETHER -

you have a RECEIPE for WAR on OUR STREETS!!

DO YOU EVEN CARE ?!?!?!?

JD

Old 02-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Arrested 9 times, sentenced to 10 years, released in 5, breaks parole, gets another one - then get's released so he can go and kill a cop in the name of Islam.

DO YOU EVEN CARE ?!?!?!?

JD
Okay JD, this is something even I can't argue...

Whatever happened to the 'Three Strikes' rule I seem to remember hearing about a few years ago? Wasn't it something like 3 felony offenses and you're in for the MANDITORY maximum punishment of your crime?

I'm not an LEO, perhaps someone can enlighten me (and the rest of us here)

Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

To quote an old Western, "Some people just need killin'." This scumbag and his Bro's immediately come to mind.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

maybe we do need to drop a bomb on em. how dirty are h-bombs.

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wonder how long before the "Free Rasheed" movement starts...kinda like the murderer of another Philadelphia police officer.

Visit The Official Daniel Faulkner Website to see the truth about Mumia Abu Jamal

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #7

Chair has his name on it.

S.S.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

DO YOU EVEN CARE ?!?!?!?

JD
Sure, we care. If we executed violent felons, as we should, this cop and many other people would be alive today.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Sure, we care. If we executed violent felons, as we should, this cop and many other people would be alive today.
I was more or less talking to the Liberals bkt - I know you guys care, but we are the only ones that see the trend as a problem that needs dealing with, not a social/societal issue that needs money thrown at "education".

JD

Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Three strikes is a joke! It is a feel good law that Legislators can use to make themselves look good to their constituants. It is more like three strikes in the first inning, you will get another at bat in the 4th inning and again in the 7th or 8th. Once they commit such a henous crime, they get countless appeals in the 9th inning.
With prison overcrowding because of countless addicts locked up, they just re-write the rules and let them go. "Oh, but he's on Parole and we will keep track of him." Care to venture a guess how many absconders there are floating around? They simply get tired of dealing with the demands society puts on them via the Parole Officers and quit showing up. After a few months to a few years, they get caught (usually after committing a crime like this) and get another year for a parole violation.
In Texas, several years ago they built prisons like crazy and started locking people up for A LOT of years. The crime rate went down. Imagine that. Keep the really bad ones in prison and they cannot commit crimes on the street. Of course the crime rate went down, stupid! The Libtards could not understand the connection between actual long prison sentences and reduced crime rate.

I live in Williamson County, Texas. The MOST conservative County in Texas. The first Possession of Crack Cocaine cae they had, resulted in a 40 year sentence! 40 years for one rock of crack! I guarantee you the criminals know where the County line is. Especially when Travis County (Austin) abuts to the south and the same rock of crack would get you 40 days on probation.