Jackson, Mich. Police Officer Killed on Duty

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Jackson, Mich. Police Officer Killed on Duty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Jackson, Mich. Police Officer Killed on Duty

I just got a call from a former partner regarding the shooting of a young man we both knew. What a super nice kid. He was the best friend of my partner's son who was killed 2 years ago in a traffic crash. Complete details are still unknown, but the good guy's have lost another one. At least they took out the dirt bag who shot them. we pray for the recovery of Officer McIntosh and we pray for the families and friends of Jim. I salute the fallen officers.

Man dead after killing Jackson Police Pfficer

BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

The 63-year-old Jackson man who shot and killed a city police officer early today was jailed in 2005 for assaulting a family member with a weapon, according to investigators.

Jackson City Police Officer James Bonneau, 26, whose parents live in Canton, was killed on Mitchell Street in Jackson at 12:20 a.m., according to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

He and anther officer went to Elvin Potts’ home after Potts’ estranged wife reported Potts had been banging on the door of her Ashton Ridge apartment in Blackman Township at 11 p.m. Monday, Undersheriff Tom Finco said this morning.

“He was pounding on the door, he had been drinking and he had a gun,” Finco said. “By the time they got there, he had left.”

When Bonneau and Blackman Township officer Darrin McIntosh approached Potts at his home, he started shooting, Finco said.

“There was a short struggle, he pulled the gun out and he shot,” Finco said.

One of the officers returned fire and fatally wounded the suspect. McIntosh, who was shot in the lower body by Potts, was in surgery this morning and expected to recover, Finco said.

The shooting is being investigated by the Jackson County Major Crimes Task Force, the sheriff’s office and the Michigan State Police.

Finco said he did not have details this morning about Potts’ 2005 conviction of family assault with a weapon. Potts was also jailed in 2007 for drunk driving and a probation violation in 2008, Finco said.

Bonneau became a Jackson City Police officer in November 2007. McIntosh has worked for the Blackman Township Public Safety Department for approximately one year.

LINK: http://www.freep.com/article/2010030...police-officer

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Very tragic.

Thoughts and prayers for the families.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The thin blue line just got thinner.

My prayers are with their families.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There have been too many of these threads lately for my taste.

Prayers & good will go out to the families and those that knew and worked with these brave officers.

JD

Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Condolences to the fallen officer's family and friends and a speedy, healthy recovery to the other officer injured. Their service, bravery, dedication and sacrifice in the line of duty, shall be respectfully acknowledged.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Commiseration to the family of this brave officer. They face daily what we fear, and do it without expection of praise and for relatively small reward.

Much respect to all our law enforcement 'sheepdogs'.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My prayers go out to the families of the officers.

The dead dirtbag is settling in to his new home in Hades. Too bad he didn't get there a day earlier.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams