It's MONDAY! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > It's MONDAY!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Most of those are OTR jobs, and since most people don't want to be away from thier families for weeks or months at a time those jobs will always be open. I did it for awhile and it was very hard, put a strain on my marriage and I missed the first 9 months of my sons life.

Local companies usually require 2 years of commercial truck driving experience so its difficult to get into anything but OTR starting out. You really just have to bite the bullet and do it and then look for something local when you get some experience in.
U got to do what u got to do tho to make money its tough better missing out on little part of life then the whole thing my friend won't get a job so his old lady took of to Kentucky with His kids cause thats were she found work. Glad to see your doing what u got to props to u man

Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #22

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Wifey got her tubes tied this morning. Add that in to everything I'm years behind on. Everything.went well so I can't complain.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #23

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD313

U got to do what u got to do tho to make money its tough better missing out on little part of life then the whole thing my friend won't get a job so his old lady took of to Kentucky with His kids cause thats were she found work. Glad to see your doing what u got to props to u man
Yeah I'm just warning ya. When I got my cdl I didn't know any better, didn't know it would be so hard for a newly issued cdl holder to get a job. The recruiters at the school made it sound like I'd have a shoe-in.

But now I do, last time I was jobless I only went 4 days without a job. I won't give up my class a cdl for nothing. I have a full time job and I know of two other companies were I could go work tomorrow plus a couple places looking for part time drivers.

Edit: Also should add that while some companies will pay for you to get your license they will make you enter into a contract saying you'll drive for them long enough to pay off the cost of your schooling, which can cost up to 5800 bucks. Cost me 4800 for which I payer for myself.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 08-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #24

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Working all week and trying to get some people together for a range trip on Thursday. Ive got a new lc9 and ruger mk3 to try out!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Yeah I'm just warning ya. When I got my cdl I didn't know any better, didn't know it would be so hard for a newly issued cdl holder to get a job. The recruiters at the school made it sound like I'd have a shoe-in.

But now I do, last time I was jobless I only went 4 days without a job. I won't give up my class a cdl for nothing. I have a full time job and I know of two other companies were I could go work tomorrow plus a couple places looking for part time drivers.

Edit: Also should add that while some companies will pay for you to get your license they will make you enter into a contract saying you'll drive for them long enough to pay off the cost of your schooling, which can cost up to 5800 bucks. Cost me 4800 for which I payer for myself.
Here in mi u can get most that in a grant and go to truck driving school so u can snag it in a student loan so no contract with any company just a student loan you have to pay back

Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7097 Times on 4272 Posts
Likes Given: 8606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Your name cracks me up. Every time I see it I read Beagle Slam by mistake.
I think of the serial killer "Son of Sam" who claimed the neighbors Beagle dog named Same told him to go out and kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Uncle Sam is hiring j/k I just get tired of hearing everyone say there are no jobs. They are out there, you just have to plug away and keep applying. When it comes to no work experience you have to start somewhere and volunteering may be the answer to get some experience to put on your resume. What are you looking at doing? Plus aren't you in school?
I find the best way to find a job is to network. Tell everyone you know you're looking for a job. Ask them if there are any openings where they work. Make phone calls to people who you may know who work doing what you'd like to do. Let them know you are looking and available immediately. It's worked for me every time.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #27

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD313

Here in mi u can get most that in a grant and go to truck driving school so u can snag it in a student loan so no contract with any company just a student loan you have to pay back
Yea I got a student loan, in a sort. My wife works at at my bank so they refinanced my truck loan and added the 4800 to it. They gave me a lower rate because I was furthering my education then I deducted it from my taxes.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I find the best way to find a job is to network. Tell everyone you know you're looking for a job. Ask them if there are any openings where they work. Make phone calls to people who you may know who work doing what you'd like to do. Let them know you are looking and available immediately. It's worked for me every time.
Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Have you tailored your resume to each specific job when applying and included a cover page? If you want me to take a look at it and give you some helpful tips send it to my silverado email.
Sweet, I'll email it now.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #29

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think of the serial killer "Son of Sam" who claimed the neighbors Beagle dog named Same told him to go out and kill people.
Really, never heard that. I have owned several beagles. My favorite was named Samantha.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #30
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Plan to spend the next few days praying that no more bills / checks hit the old bank account! Had to skip my range trip this week, grrrr...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/