Italy cruise ship fires on samalies
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Italy cruise ship fires on samalies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Italy cruise ship fires on samalies

FOXNews.com - Italy Cruise Ship Fires on Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Quote:
ROME — An Italian cruise ship fended off a pirate attack off the coast of Somalia, with its security forces exchanging fire with the bandits, the commander said Saturday.

Cmdr. Ciro Pinto told Italian state radio that six men in a small white boat approached the Msc Melody and opened fire Saturday night, but retreated after security forces aboard the cruise ship returned fire.

Domenico Pellegrino, head of the ship-owner Msc Cruises, told ANSA news agency that all 1,500 passengers and crew aboard the Melody were safe, and credited Pinto for his "cool-headed" handling of the incident.

The attack occurred about 180 miles north of the Seychelles. The ship was on a 22-day cruise from Durban, South Africa, to Genoa, Italy.

ANSA said the ship was now headed as scheduled to the Jordanian port of Aqaba.

Pirates have attacked more than 100 ships off the Somali coast over the last year, reaping an estimated $1 million in ransom for each successful hijacking, according to analysts and country experts.

Another Italian-owned vessel remains in the hands of pirates. The Italian-flagged tugboat Buccaneer was seized off Somalia on April 11 with 16 crew members aboard.
The Italians carry firearms!!! Why don't we??

Good for them!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #2

I think that's awesome! Good for them. I thought International Maritime laws
prohibited crews from arming themselves?

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

God helps those who help themselves, The International community shoots back with words,but these pirates are word proof (most criminals are......)so after the SEALs showed they wern't bulletproof......................

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I think that's awesome! Good for them. I thought International Maritime laws
prohibited crews from arming themselves?
And I was under the impression you could do just about anything you wanted in international waters? I thought that the arming restrictions came from the owners of the particular vessels but I could be wrong.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Get ready for panties in a bunch. The private security detail was made up of former Israeli soldiers....

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The news this morning stated that the Security Force aboard that ship were IDF forces privately contracted by the Italian shipping line. I guess that puts any liability on the Security team? Honestly, if your ship is being attacked, does liability matter...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

S.S.S.

Shoot, Sink, Sail on.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Way to go Comrades!!!! WHHOOO YEAH! This is exactly what needs to happen, for all ships who are unfortunate to have to go through that part of the ocean need to arm themselves or hire a heavy-armed security force. Kudos to the Italians!!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
And I was under the impression you could do just about anything you wanted in international waters? I thought that the arming restrictions came from the owners of the particular vessels but I could be wrong.
I believe it's anything goes in intl. waters.
When you try to go into port you face the restrictions of that country.
With all the different required permits and restrictions most don't bother
Sound familiar?

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
The news this morning stated that the Security Force aboard that ship were IDF forces privately contracted by the Italian shipping line. I guess that puts any liability on the Security team? Honestly, if your ship is being attacked, does liability matter...
1) Some of those IDF companies are no effing joke when it comes to doing their job. Much Respect!

2) I, for one, would sail on that companies cruiseline knowing that they take the safety of their passengers and their crew seriously. I imagine that paying for on board security isn't cheap - but look at the rewards it reaped having some guys on board who shoot back.

Now, to the rest of the "victim" companies - TAKE A F**KING HINT!!!

Force on Force response seems to lead to FAR FEWER problems for YOUR COMPANY! You want to pony up a million dollars ( average ) for each ship lost, plus the possible blood of one of your employees on board? Or do you want to spend a couple of thou per voyage for professional protection??

Excellent story. Thank you for posting!

JD