Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Italy cruise ship fires on samalies (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/italy-cruise-ship-fires-samalies-13255/)

Gojubrian 04-26-2009 10:05 AM

Italy cruise ship fires on samalies

FOXNews.com - Italy Cruise Ship Fires on Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Quote:

ROME An Italian cruise ship fended off a pirate attack off the coast of Somalia, with its security forces exchanging fire with the bandits, the commander said Saturday.

Cmdr. Ciro Pinto told Italian state radio that six men in a small white boat approached the Msc Melody and opened fire Saturday night, but retreated after security forces aboard the cruise ship returned fire.

Domenico Pellegrino, head of the ship-owner Msc Cruises, told ANSA news agency that all 1,500 passengers and crew aboard the Melody were safe, and credited Pinto for his "cool-headed" handling of the incident.

The attack occurred about 180 miles north of the Seychelles. The ship was on a 22-day cruise from Durban, South Africa, to Genoa, Italy.

ANSA said the ship was now headed as scheduled to the Jordanian port of Aqaba.

Pirates have attacked more than 100 ships off the Somali coast over the last year, reaping an estimated $1 million in ransom for each successful hijacking, according to analysts and country experts.

Another Italian-owned vessel remains in the hands of pirates. The Italian-flagged tugboat Buccaneer was seized off Somalia on April 11 with 16 crew members aboard.

The Italians carry firearms!!! Why don't we?? :mad:

Good for them!!

supergus 04-26-2009 10:44 AM

I think that's awesome! Good for them. I thought International Maritime laws
prohibited crews from arming themselves?:confused:

flyingbrickracing 04-26-2009 10:59 AM

God helps those who help themselves, The International community shoots back with words,but these pirates are word proof (most criminals are......)so after the SEALs showed they wern't bulletproof......................:rolleyes:

gregs887 04-26-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergus (Post 99100)
I think that's awesome! Good for them. I thought International Maritime laws
prohibited crews from arming themselves?:confused:

And I was under the impression you could do just about anything you wanted in international waters? I thought that the arming restrictions came from the owners of the particular vessels but I could be wrong.

ScottG 04-26-2009 05:14 PM

Get ready for panties in a bunch. The private security detail was made up of former Israeli soldiers....

RL357Mag 04-26-2009 05:16 PM

The news this morning stated that the Security Force aboard that ship were IDF forces privately contracted by the Italian shipping line. I guess that puts any liability on the Security team? Honestly, if your ship is being attacked, does liability matter...

CA357 04-26-2009 05:50 PM

S.S.S.

Shoot, Sink, Sail on.

HunterMarksman338 04-26-2009 06:11 PM

Way to go Comrades!!!! WHHOOO YEAH! This is exactly what needs to happen, for all ships who are unfortunate to have to go through that part of the ocean need to arm themselves or hire a heavy-armed security force. Kudos to the Italians!!

flyingbrickracing 04-26-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregs887 (Post 99166)
And I was under the impression you could do just about anything you wanted in international waters? I thought that the arming restrictions came from the owners of the particular vessels but I could be wrong.

I believe it's anything goes in intl. waters.
When you try to go into port you face the restrictions of that country.
With all the different required permits and restrictions most don't bother
Sound familiar?

Dillinger 04-26-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 99178)
The news this morning stated that the Security Force aboard that ship were IDF forces privately contracted by the Italian shipping line. I guess that puts any liability on the Security team? Honestly, if your ship is being attacked, does liability matter...

1) Some of those IDF companies are no effing joke when it comes to doing their job. Much Respect!

2) I, for one, would sail on that companies cruiseline knowing that they take the safety of their passengers and their crew seriously. I imagine that paying for on board security isn't cheap - but look at the rewards it reaped having some guys on board who shoot back.

Now, to the rest of the "victim" companies - TAKE A F**KING HINT!!!

Force on Force response seems to lead to FAR FEWER problems for YOUR COMPANY! You want to pony up a million dollars ( average ) for each ship lost, plus the possible blood of one of your employees on board? Or do you want to spend a couple of thou per voyage for professional protection??

Excellent story. Thank you for posting!

JD