Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Isnipe ballistics program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I surprised myself today, I think I bought the most expensive app (program) for my iPod touch. It cost me a whopping 10bucks. But it's called "isnipe" and it's a ballistics program that's always going to be on me now instead of a cheat sheet being taped to my rifle.

I found something kind of weird out just now with it though. I've been putting in stupid setting to do with shot angle, temp and just other nonsense. In the picture I've got the temp set to a crazy +256C just to see what would happen......the bullet actually picks up speed. The shot angle is still set to 0 also.

On a serious note though, this is a pretty cool and simple to use app. It had just about every factory load that I can think of as well as every caliber. If your not using factory load, you can put your own bullet weight, BC and muzzle energy in into the spots provided. You can even save it so your not wasting time putting it in over and over.

Once your done that you can even put your rifle set up in. You can't pick a brand/model though. But you can put your rifles name in and the. Set the distance your zero'd at and save it. Then you can move onto the "fun" part of the program.

After you've got your rifle and ammunition all set up you can start picking your distances. You can have as close or as far a distance as you'd like and can also set the intervals for the cheat sheet that'll be produced.

The last option I gives you is your environmental in puts. If you've got an iPhone or 3G capable device, you can just hit a button and it'll figure all of that out for you. Once everything is set you simply hit "compute" and it shows up in a nice little chart.

One of the great things about this program is that it also has a built in range finder. Now obviously it's not a laser range finder, but it does work for the small bit I've messed around with it. You have to have a device with a camera on it to have the range finder be of use.

image-1217170612.jpg   image-3412811799.jpg  

Last edited by kaido; 03-20-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #2

I passed on it a while back when it came out because it had limited features. I went with Ballistic because it uses the JBM system which I had confirmed in the field on my 308 as dead nuts on already.

I actually shot my first match with a JBM printout out to 500yards without ever confirming it and still finished top 10

Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcguns
I passed on it a while back when it came out because it had limited features. I went with Ballistic because it uses the JBM system which I had confirmed in the field on my 308 as dead nuts on already.

I actually shot my first match with a JBM printout out to 500yards without ever confirming it and still finished top 10
Damn, that's surprising. I haven't had the chance to actually use this a the range yet since I just bought it tonight around 9:00 or so. It's going to be a while before I can get out to see how well it works though. We just got dumped on with snow.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #4

I know they have come a long way, I'm not saying anything bad about the current version. The guys at snipershide were not impressed when it came out a while back, you might google there for more info.

The Ballistic and Knights programs are GTG though, my shooting buddy uses the Knights version and likes it.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #5

Quote:
I know they have come a long way, I'm not saying anything bad about the current version. The guys at snipershide were not impressed when it came out a while back, you might google there for more info.

The Ballistic and Knights programs are GTG though, my shooting buddy uses the Knights version and likes it.
I haven't really looked into all to many of the programs for the I-devices at all. Pretty much bought this one on an impulse buy since I've been looking for a good drop chart.

Maybe we could both set a load up and post the results it gives use here and see how close they come to each other?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #6

Sure.
Another iPhone app to get is "tactical NAV" I you work with UTM on your maps.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Sure.
Another iPhone app to get is "tactical NAV" I you work with UTM on your maps.
Sorry for taking so long, it never showed up as anyon posting at all. But if you work a load up, I'll punch I in and post the results here.

I haven't heard of Tactical Nav but I'll surely look into it.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #8

M193 @ 50 Zero for comparison.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #9

I couldn't find a factory loaded 56 grain M193, so I went with a 55 grain. Other then that all my environmentals are the same as yours. Right down to the scope hight.

The second pic is putting all your info in, right down to the bullet weight/BC.
Isn't all to far off from yours

image-633330730.jpg   image-3032018147.jpg  

Last edited by kaido; 03-21-2012 at 05:46 AM.