Interior Decorating: Liberty Style! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Interior Decorating: Liberty Style!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9089 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I don't think texas meant to be mocking. I for one was mocking the mocker in the post above mine.

I think primitive lighting would be very cool in a revolutionary era themed room.
You mothermocking mocker! Actually it was El Guapo that I was mocking myself.

Lighting is very important. Those CFL lights would not do at all. Some of those banned and then un-banned incandescent lights would be perfect. They made some that looked like candlelights. Of course because the government banned incandescent light bulbs they are no longer manufactured here in the USA so you would have to get imported bulbs now.

Also, have you used a kerosene lamp? Smelly and smoky. They leave soot everywhere. I hear tell that whale oil is worse (smellier and sootier).

Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #22

Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The OP was saying it would be "Liberty Style". That does not preclude the use of modern conveniences. Besides, if it were to be a "Revolutionary War Style" he would have to use whale oil lamps and just where the Hell do you get whale oil these days? Japan? Kerosene was not used as a lamp oil until the mid 1800's.

Don't mock the OP. He has a good idea.
I didn't mean to sound like I was mocking the OP. All I was doing was giving a few suggestions in case he did decide to leave the modern tech out of the room. As for the lamps, I did not know that there was not kerosene back then. But since you cannot find whale oil locally in the US, Kerosene is the next best thing if you want that look.
Once again, I'm sorry that my post sounded like I was mocking the OP, I think a Revolutionary War style room is a cool idea. I have actually thought of doing period styled room too (much later down the road). I can't decide between a Civil War themed room or a WW2 themed room, but I'll save that for another thread.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #23

Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
You mothermocking mocker! Actually it was El Guapo that I was mocking myself.

Lighting is very important. Those CFL lights would not do at all. Some of those banned and then un-banned incandescent lights would be perfect. They made some that looked like candlelights. Of course because the government banned incandescent light bulbs they are no longer manufactured here in the USA so you would have to get imported bulbs now.

Also, have you used a kerosene lamp? Smelly and smoky. They leave soot everywhere. I hear tell that whale oil is worse (smellier and sootier).
Hey!!! Quit using the M word.

Incandescent lights would be cool too.

Yep, kerosene stinks. But you could use lamp oil insted. It costs a little more, but burns cleaner.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That wouldn't be hard at all to apply to a single room. I have no running water in either bedroom or living room. Come to think of it, I don't bring my truck inside either.
+1! Hell, I had no idea I'm already half way there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I like that idea. (for a single room). Insted of lights, you can use candles or kerosene lamps. A don't tread on me flag would be cool too.
I'm sure there must be some sort of "fake flame" lanterns I could find. Oil lamps are really cool and I like this idea. I will have to look into that! As for the flag, if I can find one that is a repo of the period, then absolutely!

Quote:
The OP was saying it would be "Liberty Style". That does not preclude the use of modern conveniences. Besides, if it were to be a "Revolutionary War Style" he would have to use whale oil lamps and just where the Hell do you get whale oil these days? Japan? Kerosene was not used as a lamp oil until the mid 1800's.

Don't mock the OP. He has a good idea.
Thanks for the support, they are alright though. The point is it should be fun to decorate as well as discuss with visitors to the house and members of this forum.

I cant wait to get started on this whole under-taking. I think I saw a Ron Paul autographed copy of the Constitution, which would be amazing IMHO!

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #25

Liked 9215 Times on 5059 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There ARE fake flame thingamabobs that will probably work perfectly, I'll have to ask my wife about them.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #26
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 705 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Cannon, check!

I had a chance to buy one like this last weekend, they wanted to much for it though.