Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   An Interesting Encounter........ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/interesting-encounter-95648/)

TheDesertFox 08-18-2013 05:17 AM

An Interesting Encounter........

The other day I took my dad's truck down the road to go plinking with one of our 10/22s(I live in the boonies, so no gun range for me :-)). Well, I arrive at the place I plan on shooting at, set up some coke cans, and start loading my mag. All of a sudden I turn around and about 40-50ft from me is a huge black bear standing on it's hind legs. Now, seeing as how I live in NE Louisiana in the country, this wasn't a very shocking event, but it certainly got my attention. Well, it turned around and saw me and started to walk towards me, so I got the .22 and fired off a mag into the nearby woods, which made it run off into a nearby corn field. I then proceeded to pack my things and drive home. While black bears are no grizzly, it was just a bit too close for comfort (better safe than sorry i suppose). I later drove by the corn field with my dad to try and see it again, but we did not. Has anyone else had any close encounters while shooting, hunting, hiking, etc?

sputnik1988 08-18-2013 05:24 AM

I think I'd start taking a bigger bore gun with me on 'range trips':eek:

TheDesertFox 08-18-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1338972)
I think I'd start taking a bigger bore gun with me on 'range trips':eek:

Lol I think I will.

Devin556 08-18-2013 05:29 AM

Step 1 for me would have probably been sh**ting of the pants. You know, so the smell would drive it away. :) the only animal encounter I've had while shooting was one time when a deer walked in to the range while I was setting a scope. I had just finished dialing it in and had stopped to eat some lunch before plinking away the rest of a box of 308's when I look up to see a doe just passed the 200 yard target line grazing. String as how I'm a responsible hunter and it was mid July I decided to ask it to leave the range before anyone else got trigger happy. The first round impacted the ground about 8 inches in front of it's nose. The doe flinched, then just stood there looking towards my direction for a few minutes before going back to eating. So the next shot went about 2 inches from its nose on the ground. I guess it got the point after that cuz it shot out like a bolt of lightning.

nitestalker 08-18-2013 05:31 AM

We had a hunter up in the Snowy Range many years ago. He staggered into camp scared and breathless. He reported a surprise attack by a massive Black Bear. He said he shot the beast and escaped. We saddled a pack horse to remove the trophy. Up on arrival at he site we found the bear. It was a small critter about the size of a Labrador Retriever. Funny how a surprise creates a monster.;)

Axxe55 08-18-2013 05:35 AM

i once had Sasquatch walk up on me in the woods one day when i was out walking my dogs. we sat down and had some Jack Links beef jerky and had a nice visit. we parted ways after a while and when the beef jerky was gone and i haven't seen him since. i really thought he'd be a bigger feller than he was though!:p

therewolf 08-18-2013 05:49 AM

hey, Axxe, have you discussed this with Txpossum?

His next hunting trip is to try and locate Bigfoot...

Axxe55 08-18-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1338999)
hey, Axxe, have you discussed this with Txpossum?

His next hunting trip is to try and locate Bigfoot...

no hunting Bigfoot!:mad:

he smells quite bad, but he's a nice critter and just wants to be left alone and to eat beef jerky!:p

nitestalker 08-18-2013 05:55 AM

Axx I never knew they ate Jerky? Back in the old days they lived out in the country all alone. They really lived a pretty boring life. As you know in recent years most of them can be found in Walmart Super Centers late at night shopping. Yep! they are the ones with big butts big hair wearing stretch pants and riding those electric carts. :D

sputnik1988 08-18-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1339010)
Axx I never knew they ate Jerky? Back in the old days they lived out in the country all alone. They really lived a pretty boring life. As you know in recent years most of them can be found in Walmart Super Centers late at night shopping. Yep! they are the ones with big butts big hair wearing stretch pants and riding those electric carts. :D

:eek: I saw one a few hours ago