Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Insane legal question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/insane-legal-question-15516/)

Benning Boy 07-08-2009 05:18 PM

Insane legal question

Some of you know, I'm all about Japanese cinema.

One of my favorites is the Lone Wolf and Cub series, a ronin travels the country assassinating for money.

He is accompanied by his toddler son, whom he pushes in a wooden baby cart. The cart is loaded with weapons.

So here's the question. One of the weapons is a Gatling style gun that pops out the front, and fires full auto. For the period, it would have to be black powder.

If one were to attempt to replicate this baby cart for giggles, and crafted it by hand, is such a monstrosity legal?

caniswalensis 07-08-2009 06:00 PM

What a great question!!

I too am a fan of Japanese films, although I am more of a Gojira man by nature.

I would think that if you could get a licence for full auto CC (is there such a thing?) you might pull it off. But if the kid is in there when you pull the trigger, CPS will be all over you! :D

Regards, Canis

Benning Boy 07-08-2009 06:14 PM

The thing is, no FFL is required for muzzle loaders. A serious FFL is required for an auto. It's legal to buy those duckfoot derringer pistols, which dump all three barrels simultaneously.

This is a crazy gray area. If the hypothetical gun in question had 8 barrels, would having them fire simultaneously then be a non automatic firearm?

caniswalensis 07-08-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 126459)
The thing is, no FFL is required for muzzle loaders. A serious FFL is required for an auto. It's legal to buy those duckfoot derringer pistols, which dump all three barrels simultaneously.

This is a crazy gray area. If the hypothetical gun in question had 8 barrels, would having them fire simultaneously then be a non automatic firearm?

Oh! I was picturing an actual gattling gun that fired in succession.

That is a crazy grey area.

Maybe you could do and end run around the problem by training the baby to fire it on command. If the baby gets in trouble, at least his record would be cleared when he turns 18. :D

user4 07-08-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 126446)
Some of you know, I'm all about Japanese cinema.

One of my favorites is the Lone Wolf and Cub series, a ronin travels the country assassinating for money.

He is accompanied by his toddler son, whom he pushes in a wooden baby cart. The cart is loaded with weapons.

So here's the question. One of the weapons is a Gatling style gun that pops out the front, and fires full auto. For the period, it would have to be black powder.

If one were to attempt to replicate this baby cart for giggles, and crafted it by hand, is such a monstrosity legal?

Dude...you just described Shogun Assassin. JD's been given me grief for that movie since I posted a quote from it two months ago.

robocop10mm 07-08-2009 07:04 PM

Muzzle loaders are not regulated. A full auto muzzle loader would not even be a firearm under Federal law and therefor not subject to the NFA regs.

That's just my opinion, I am not a lawyer and I have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Yunus 07-08-2009 07:32 PM

There's another thread around here that someone was asking about felons and muzzleloaders and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that just because there is no background check does not mean it is not a firearm. It still is a firearm its just not a regulated firearm. Which to me means that it would become a class III weapon if you configured multiple cartridges to be fired at one time.

Also if this is a weapon designed to be disquised as a Baby cart it might be regulated for that reason.

orangello 07-08-2009 07:35 PM

Are there muzzle-loading double-barrel shotguns?

skullcrusher 07-08-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 126487)
Are there muzzle-loading double-barrel shotguns?

Yes, there are. :)

Benning Boy 07-09-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 126462)
Dude...you just described Shogun Assassin. JD's been given me grief for that movie since I posted a quote from it two months ago.

Shogun Assassin is portions of the 4 Lone Wolf and Cub movies that some director spliced together to rake in on it's success.

So since some double barrel shotguns can discharge both barrels simultaneously, why is it not NFA? Is there a clear definition somewhere?