Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default input

me some guys I work with go into a "discussion" about war, one of them started saying that war is a completely unnecessary thing and should have no place in this world. I was pointing out that war does serve purposes while tragic it does serve a purpose. Simply put it takes down the earth population, it keeps some places from over growing in people. Back in the old days people died regularly we didn't have the medical knowledge we have now and wars and violence were more prevalent so the population was kept low. Now with people living longer and technology taking place of where people use to along with safer work places the population booms.

Hence why war is a logical thing tragic non the less but important to a point. I'm not saying that we should go to war with anyone we can but it does help keep the world population down along with disease and violence in the streets. I'm basically saying that humans are a lot like other animals species like deer if the population gets too high then issues arise with deer it's lack of food and possible diseases like blue tung, with humans it really no different then any other species. Yes where all capable of thought and all that jazz but even with that our population still needs to be kept in check.

What do y'all think?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1538 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 7828

" I sometimes think that war is necessary, but every night I pray for peace on Earth." Toby Keith, Love Me if You Can.

I agree Unclebear, it does help with population control, sad as it is. On the other hand ther are other upsides as well.

If it wasn't for war I would not have the prostetic foot that allows me to walk, and a close friend of mine would not have the leg that gives him the same. The advances that were made in WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, through the helping of returning soldiers who came back as amputees gave us these wonders. Belive me, we are both thankful of this.

Other things that would have possibly been different:

The moon landing and space race, The VW beetle, antibiotics, Nuclear research (think energy production), advancements in planes and flight, and Motorcycle clubs and racing just to name a few. There are more examples, but these are the first ones to come to my mind. For all the bad, there is still goood that can come from war. Most of what is listed above stems from wars we have fought in, and in one case (space race\moon landing) some of the scientists involed were the same ones who worked in Germany's V2 rocket program. Just some food for thought, If not for WWII, we may have never landed on the moon.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 02-14-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Preemptive/offensive war is unnecessary and wrong, IMO. Defensive war is necessary unless you don't care about losing everything to the aggressor.

War is big, big government business.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Most wars can provide an economic upswing (Roaring Twenties, Baby Boomers, Partying 70's), and some political leaders hope for that to happen today.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Most that feel war is unnecessary will change their minds when we live in tyrany. Just read my quote at the bottom if you want to know how I feel. It's even more lopsided than Conservativism vs Liberalism where the minority supports the majority. In war, the few protect the many.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Most wars can provide an economic upswing (Roaring Twenties, Baby Boomers, Partying 70's), and some political leaders hope for that to happen today.
Does that upswing justify all the death? How does this differ from a street thug who kills indiscriminately to enrich himself?

A strong defensive force is justifiable. Killing others for profit...not so much.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I believe that we have to do what we have to do. Someone is threatening our country, and our well being, take it to their doorstep until there is none left. Take EPW's as needed for intel for progression and the upper hand. Lives will be lost, yes, that is war. Lives are lost everyday here in America to other things, people passing of old age, OD, auto accidents, suicide, etc.

War is never pretty, nor will it ever be, that's expected. When we enlist in the military, we know that this could be our death wish, but we do it to serve and defend. Not everyone will agree with the war, but support the troops if you do anything.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Does that upswing justify all the death? How does this differ from a street thug who kills indiscriminately to enrich himself?

A strong defensive force is justifiable. Killing others for profit...not so much.
#1, it differs in the number of commas in the payoff, IMO.

Of course, many people hunt & kill their own food; how big is that difference.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
#1, it differs in the number of commas in the payoff, IMO.

Of course, many people hunt & kill their own food; how big is that difference.
Hunting generally involves killing animals for food to stay alive rather than killing other people for obtaining wealth and power over others.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Preemptive/offensive war is unnecessary and wrong, IMO. Defensive war is necessary unless you don't care about losing everything to the aggressor.

War is big, big government business.

My sentiments exactly!