Information about firearms needed - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Information about firearms needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegatoRedrivers View Post
Oh, boy...

Not enough info here, I think. I assume we're working with a tabletop RPG system as opposed to a computerized MMO style system.

What are we working with on game mechanics, here? Are we going with something more along the lines of D&D 3.5, or something with an ability list more akin to 4.0? D20 system, a d10 system (ala Cyberpunk), or something else entirely? What's the game idea? (I.E what will your players be up against)

Just remember, realism in a game like that is a strict line. Nobody likes a first round TPK caused by super-realistic weapons damage. Get too far into it, and you've got a mess of stats not only for weapons but various types of ammo, (for example, JHP vs. AP, grain weight, slugs vs buckshot...) that will leaves player's heads reeling.

Could be a massive undertaking. I wish you luck in it.
The system is lean and mean, and on the lethal side; just started playtesting and hopefully not too lethal and too realistic to be fun. Seems good so far.
You might find it humerous that a player did in fact, get taken out by one shot at the start of a playtest game. But the other three survived.

I appreciate all the feedback from the people here; very useful.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #12

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, are you a private individual starting a design company, or are you with someone like paizo? Can you even release that information?

I think you got a pretty good amount of info to get some theoretical rage increments down. I would think that for damage type, the lower calibers should probably do more piercing damage, and the higher you go in the calibers (and for hollow points) you should throw some bludgeoning damage into the mix. Range could also be a factor in that as well, the closer range you're at, the more bludgeoning damage would be dealt. Standard "bullet-proof" vests could eliminate the piercing damage (unless they had special rounds), but getting shot with a bullet proof vest can still be like getting smacked in the chest with a sledgehammer, so there should still be at least some damage involved. You could make it non-lethal damage if you want.

You can purchase inserts for standard vests that will make it more effective against certain types of ammunition, and this could be a base armor system; starting characters can buy the base armor, and buy/find more expensive inserts as they progress in level.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #13

I am half owner of a brand new company, not affiliated with any large established companies. One of our games is set in the present, and most characters will be law enforcement or cia. From a game mechanical perspective, I need to keep the system simple and easy to play while maintaining a certain degree of realism.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4747 View Post
I have found plenty of information on the internet about firearms. The reason I posted here is to get the informed opinions of people more knowledgable than myself in this area. So the game mechanics would be at least somewhat realistic.

'nice quotes' ? can you explain what you mean by that? Do you think I am some anti-gun nut? I am an avid gamer, and have played paintball, I just have no experience with real weapons. And for what it is worth, I really am a pen and paper rpg game designer.
Nice qoutes, is simple to explain, some anti gun people surf forums like this looking for qoutes and at time pose to be writers, historians and yes game developers to get qoutes they can use to inflame the anti gun people with a direct quote off a firearm forum.

I don't know who you are and I hope if your venture is honest you find the information you need. All the same I hope you understand my reservation. Best advice it to find a local range that rents firearms and hook up with an instructor there. No better impression than first hand. If you want to develop the best game you need to shoot first hand.

Last edited by WDB; 05-09-2009 at 09:16 AM.