Info on bee keeping?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Info on bee keeping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Info on bee keeping?

I was interested in bee keeping. Any info helps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8133 Times on 4695 Posts
Likes Given: 10492

OK. Where do you want to start? What have you read? I recommend Dadant's "First Lessons in Beekeeping" if you want a great book or "Beekeeping For Dummies" if you just want a good one. I would recommend both. There are dozens more.

Where are you located? How many hives are you thinking about? What is the reason you want to keep bees? How much area do you have to work with?

I have been keeping bees for several years, currently I have 15 or so hives.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
OK. Where do you want to start? What have you read? I recommend Dadant's "First Lessons in Beekeeping" if you want a great book or "Beekeeping For Dummies" if you just want a good one. I would recommend both. There are dozens more.

Where are you located? How many hives are you thinking about? What is the reason you want to keep bees? How much area do you have to work with?

I have been keeping bees for several years, currently I have 15 or so hives.
Just really wanted another hobby and I would like to start selling honey. And I really haven't seen many bees this year. We need bees very badly!
Haven't really read anything.
Watched a couple shows on PBS.
It just seems interesting to me.
I'm located in Eastern Oklahoma.
I would like about 3 hives to start with.
I have 45 acres.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default Bee keeping

I tried bee keeping but, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch and I gave it up!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #5

3 Hives is a great place to start. I always recommend that people start with a minimum of 2 hives and 3 is better. Gives you a basis of comparison to have.

There are a few beekeeping supply outfits out there. The one I use the most is Mann Lake (mannlakeltd.com) or then Dadant (www.dadant,com). They both sell everything you might need to get started.

Stings are a part of it. If you suffer from arthritis though the stings will help to alleviate the pain from it if not eliminate the pain altogether. Over time I have become desensitized to the stings (no longer swell up from them or get itchiness) and rather welcome them to address the arthritic pain.

Read the books. You have plenty of time since it is way, way too late to get started this year. You need to put the stuff together and educate yourself for next spring.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Check out the agricultural extension in OK. It's probably part of the university system. Most likely the land grant university. OSU maybe?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #7

Good point Scott. Check this out http://www.okbees.org/

Look up a local club or guild...

Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
3 Hives is a great place to start. I always recommend that people start with a minimum of 2 hives and 3 is better. Gives you a basis of comparison to have.

There are a few beekeeping supply outfits out there. The one I use the most is Mann Lake (mannlakeltd.com) or then Dadant (www.dadant,com). They both sell everything you might need to get started.

Stings are a part of it. If you suffer from arthritis though the stings will help to alleviate the pain from it if not eliminate the pain altogether. Over time I have become desensitized to the stings (no longer swell up from them or get itchiness) and rather welcome them to address the arthritic pain.

Read the books. You have plenty of time since it is way, way too late to get started this year. You need to put the stuff together and educate yourself for next spring.
Thanks for the information. Will definitely check out the website and do more studying.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #9

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My brother keeps bees He has 40 or so hives now and keeps them at a friends large ranch. I don't know much about it but at least here he treats all the wild hives he rescues/collects as if they were sick. Out here, at least, they get these mites which can transfer to the other hives and kills the bees. Kind of like HIV or AIDS for bees. They say it first showed up here in the states about 1987 and probably come form Eastern or Chinese bees.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050517110843.htm

In the seven or so years my brother has been into bee's and bee hives he hasn't had a problem with these mites probably because he treats all his collected bees for them immediatly. His hives are healthy and our family uses a few of his hives during the bloom season to pollinate our fruit trees. We dont see many wild bees here the last several years except for the kept hives.

He purchases his supplies from here as some of us live in and near Sacramento.

http://www.sacramentobeekeeping.com/

On their web site I see they do have a starter kit to get into Bees under their supply section. Hopefully you can find a bee keepers supply in Oklahoma.

My brother also collects the natural bee pollen. I've been taking it for several years now. Good stuff!

http://www.nutritional-supplements-health-guide.com/bee-pollen-benefits.html

Last edited by mrm14; 06-13-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I read the title and immediately thought of Lilly's dad from How I Met Your Mother.