Inexpensive home security measures - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Inexpensive home security measures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Cheapest thing you can do that is also efficient. Buy a sign that says "This house protected by Brinks" or another company of your choosing. If your house/apartment has a security system sign and any of your neighbors do not, your not the easiest target and that is key.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That sounds like a winning idea there. I like it!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Protected by shotgun guard 3 days a week, you pick the day.

Layton

Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #14

Inexpensive home security measures - The Club House

Of course, there are always non-lethal traps you could set for intruders...

Inexpensive home security measures - The Club House

Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3583 Times on 1839 Posts
Likes Given: 399

As a Burglary Detective I can give you some realistic, inexpensive advise.

Layer your defenses like a military position.

1. Your outer perimeter should make your place look less inviting. Fence and locked gate for rural property. Good lighting for suburban property. Motion sensor lights, dusk to dawn lights, etc.

2. The inner perimeter should be capable of considerably slowing an intruder day and night. Good locks including double cylinder dead bolts (they take a key to get in or out) so the BG cannot simply break a window, reach inside and unlock the door. Check with local fire codes as they are not legal in some municipalities. The lock is only as good as the frame it throws into. Use 3" long deck screws to secure the striker plates (the brass plates on the frame the dead bolt/door latch go into). They can kick open the door but they had better be really big and strong and will have to kick it multiple times.
Auxiliary locks on the windows. A good trick is to drill a hole on each side of the window frame slightly larger than the diameter of a double headed nail. Slide nail into the hole (paint nail head to match the frame). This will significantly slow the intruder yet allow easy opening when YOU choose. If a piece of glass gets broken replace with Lexan (polycarbonate) You can beat this stuff with a hammer and it will not break and does not yellow like plexi-glass does.

3. Dogs are good. Large, protective hungry dogs are better. Yappers wake up the eaters.

4. Good marksmanship with a major power firearm. 12ga preferred. The resolve to use it is essential.

5. Cell phone to call 911 prior to shooting and an attorney's phone number on speed dial for after the shooting. Remember this "I was in fear for my life and the lives of my family. I want to speak to my lawyer." Then shut up.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Perfect Robo, except no big dogs just a little "yapper" at any sound or movement made in or around the house. He looks pretty damn mean too!
100_0414.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”