Inexpensive home security measures
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Inexpensive home security measures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Inexpensive home security measures

I was looking into some additional measures to make our apartment more secure and came up with the following list of little inexpensive things that will help alot.

Six Simple Things to Make Your Home Safe and Secure - Associated Content

Of course, we're all prepared for zombie hordes and ninjas. This is just extra stuff that might be helpful.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #2

Just IMO charlie bars for standard hinged doors are almost useless. But, for sliding doors and windows they are very effective since the only way past them is to break the window. At least you can hear that and have a few important moments to prepare (ready your 1911). A fitted length of heavy wooden dowell or 1x2 works well for this.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
-U.S. Army Training Notice

Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you can stand those small barky dogs & your complex allows them, consider one simply for an alarm substitute.

It sounds silly, but an older relative got up to check on a noise in her apartment (really bad neighborhood, wouldn't move) without picking up the pistol by her bed; her chihuahua went so nuts that the hiding burglar jumped out a closed window. (chicks also dig lil doggies )

Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If you can stand those small barky dogs & your complex allows them, consider one simply for an alarm substitute.
It sounds silly, but an older relative got up to check on a noise in her apartment (really bad neighborhood, wouldn't move) without picking up the pistol by her bed; her chihuahua went so nuts that the hiding burglar jumped out a closed window. (chicks also dig lil doggies )
It was exactly what I was going to say … a small barking dog is the best substitute of an alarm, they are capable of detecting the intruder before he has tried to enter to the house … just when they "feel" his presence immediately they begin to bark to the door or window; and it already put away a thief who is going to prefer an easier prey. I had a Miniature Pinscher besides of the size it is a faithful and noble dog. Sometimes only he was going out running and stopping barking behind the door, later I realized that there was someone out conversing in the corridor. That's why that class of dogs are the best alarm, they "activate" before the incident, which makes think 2 times to an intruder before trying something.
Lamentably I had to put to sleep to my dog last week, it has me badly, this it is the only great problem with these beautiful little animals, one endears very much them but you knows that they are not going to live longer than yourself. That could be a problem if you have little childrens or toddlers because when the dog pass away maybe they still young.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 02-19-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

A 5 pack of Remington 00 buck is $3.17 at Wal Mart.

Goo Gone is $5.47, for afterwards.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Goo Gone is $5.47, for afterwards.
I taught night classes for about 10 years & learned that a good way to get an unruly class's attention was to ask some really off-the-wall question that had been rattling around my skull; one of my favorites was "so, if somebody breaks into your place & you pop them with a shotgun, who has to clean up that mess?". This one worked really well at getting their attention, especially the night that this girl raised her hand and answered my semi-rhetorical question. She explained that this were her family's business for several years (normal-looking chick too). Apparently, SOP is to sponge mop the walls & then roll up the carpet & pad. Chick mentioned that she had no problem with people goo, but couldn't handle the wet food ecountered when hand-washing dishes.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm...
A - The Charlie Bar Provides Initial Resistance, forces invaders to resort to heavy noisy kicks and falls to the floor.
B - The Dog wakes up and barks and challenges intruder.
C - GatorDude's wife wakes up, maces intruder, and spreads blue tarp in entry hall.
D - GatorDude plugs intruder (if needed) and he falls on blue tarp.
E - GatorDude's wife makes GatorDude move to better neighborhood.
F - Apartment complex charges extra for human goo be-gone treatment.
G - Weeks later we get deposit less human goo treatment.
Anyway, that's a first draft plan...

Here's the Charlie Bar I use --
Product Review: Master Lock Dual Function Door Security Bar - Associated Content

Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

My home security system, a little costly but well worth it.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I find two German Shepards work just fine I dont think I know any one with enough brass to open the door while staring down two sets off drooling angry teeth

Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #10

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Another thing that can be done relatively cheaply is a couple of inexpensive timers for your wall outlets that you plug a couple of lamps into. Having some lights come on and off throughout the house a few times a night creates the illusion that someone is home and or awake and moving around the house.