Indy 1500?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Indy 1500?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Indy 1500?

Will any of you be in attendance at the Indy 1500 show this Friday, Saturday, and or Sunday?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did they triple the length of the race...?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

It's one of the largest gun shows in the U.S. and the 1500 refers to the about of dealer tables which are at the show. =) The only racing is between the dealers themselves. =)

http://thecgacompany.com/

Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't seen a gun show in years that actually had any decent deals (with the exception of private sellers walking around). The shows I've been to appear to have morphed into a "let's rape the gun noob quick" environment. I'll continue to pass these up...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I haven't seen a gun show in years that actually had any decent deals (with the exception of private sellers walking around). The shows I've been to appear to have morphed into a "let's rape the gun noob quick" environment. I'll continue to pass these up...
In defense of my fellow dealers that sell guns at those which I don't. Do you realize most are lucky to make $50.00 on a gun when all their costs are factored in?

Also I am going to dispute the claim that the only good deals are from those non dealers walking round. Many times I find they want more for a gun than the dealers would charge. Now there are times when some are desperate for cash or just don't know what they have and it's a great price they are offering.

I base this on my experience of selling at shows since 1995 in states like IL, IN, WI, MO, IA. I sell at 20 to 30 shows each year. My father and I have sold a variety of items in this time from antique firearms, custom gun accessories, knives, modern guns, and now books. My father has been selling at showing since the mid 1970's.

That being said there are plenty of people out there who would agree with you.

http://thecgacompany.com/

Last edited by Thomas Carey; 03-16-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Not to slander the name of FFL dealers, but around here if a dealer is only making $50 on a gun, he is buying way too high. The prices are outrageous these days. I occasionally go to the gun show, but it is more of a candy store for me. I look alot to get ideas and network with people I only see a couple of times a year and only at the gun show.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

The biggest "organizer" of gun shows here in GA is the shadiest person I've ever met. I know for absolute fact that he has banned a number of dealers for selling at reasonable prices. The last time I went to a show was 3-4 years ago and every gun I saw was priced at full retail - hoping to catch a noob that didn't know any better. The only value they serve is it does give you a chance to look at a lot of stuff - but I can do that in my local shop though.

And yes, I know all about running a business as I was a Controller for a multi-national company before I transitioned to civil service...

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah! I was on the wrong 'track'......

It's been awhile since I've been to a gunshow here. Most dealers are priced too high - if I can buy the same newer gun locally for the same or lower price, or have a local FFL receive my order of a surplus gun and factor in his fee and shipping/taxes/NICS for the same or lower, then the gunshow is no deal.
I order my reload supplies, even powder and primers with the HAZMAT for less than the show vendors want. It simply isn't economically feasible these days.
I do miss a couple vendors who always had something old and interesting for me - I bought a lot from them and they knew what I liked. But it got to where they wouldn't even set up a table if the showing wouldn't be good.