Imus
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Imus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Imus

What a mess this guy has gotten himself in.

It's a tough one though, is our freedom of speech that timid?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #2

i personaly think what he said was wrong. but should he have got fired? no other races say a whole lot worse and nothing happens. i personaly didnt like him. but i only heard his show a few times. are country has to many double standards and it is to p\c

Old 08-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #3

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's not a freedom of speech issue. The government didn't fire Imus or out him in jail. His employer was exercising HIS freedom of speech by firing him. He (the employer) doesn't have to pay Imus for saying stuff he doesn't agree with. Everyone has the right to say what he wants, but no one has a RIGHT to get paid for it.

I have no problem with Imus getting fired. I only wish MORE people would get fired for saying stupid and offensive things.

Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer, to name two. Randi Rhodes and Katie Couric, to name two more. Al Sharpton, Jimmy Carter, Christopher Dodd...

Well, you get the idea.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Sure, Imus' employer certainly has the right to fire him for saying things that run counter to the policies of the company.

But this was a pretty clear case of Imus getting railroaded. Were it not for pressure brought to bear by the likes of Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson and Al Sharpton, Imus probably would not have been fired.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #5

sharpton and jackson had nothing to do with my writing AND calling to object to imus: i'm white, female, and older than dirt and as a woman i was deeply offended by his statements.

its a capitalistic system and if his employer thinks they're going to have a loss of $$ because of him and/or their sponsors decide my spending $$ on their product is more important than sponsoring his show, then so be it. let imus experience some of the confusion and discomfort that he dished out to these young women. what goes around, comes around.....

not looking to get into an argument but merely trying to point out that the stereotype of why imus is off the air may not be quite accurate and that there is another point of view,

movie zombie

Old 08-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Hey, don't mistake me! Imus is a Grade-A schmuck in my opinion.

All I'm saying is that immediately after his comments, there was some rumbling and a suspension. Then, the heavy guns -- Jackson and Sharpton -- showed up, met with management and *poof* Imus was sh*tcanned.

Had advertisers bailed in droves after his comment and thousands of callers complained and *that* was the driving force behind his termination, then fine; that's just the market doing its thing. But whenever Sharpton and Jackson get involved, things don't smell so good.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everybody gets too emotional any more we all need to toughen up and worry about real life problems-It's a cop out when someone says"I'm offended",we live in a crazy world I say get over it to those people ! Just my 2 cents,hope I didn't offend someone LOL!

Last edited by Tony Soprano; 08-15-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #8

Of course, the Imus kerfuffle would have made only a blip on the national scene had the VT atrocity occured about a week or so earlier than it did.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to live down the street from Rutgers foe many years. I also used to listen to Imus on some occasions. I never liked him much but he could be entertaining at times. (as in this case) His knowing how the rest of the 'media' usually reacts to this sort of thing, I just wonder if he had one of those 'brain farts'. It wasn't called for but, 'no offence' to anyone (the land of the offended) I still laugh when I hear it. I heard he's getting a new job.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Imus

And now one of the basketball players is filing a law suit, cuz she was defamed and traumatized, or something like that. Give me a break! She only heard the [stupid] comment because the media kept playing it over, and over, and over, ad nausium. Maybe she should sue NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Sharpton, Jackson, etc. If anything, this has brought more favorable attention on her (them) as a "victim," than they otherwise would have received.

First amendment issue? Nope.

P.C. run amuk? You betcha.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved