Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Impulse or Calculated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
All my firearms purchases have been calculated. I decide what I want then save up to buy it. I don't have enough $$ to do much impulse buying.
Me too, sorta. Except I kind of do it in reverse. I wait until I've saved up, or otherwise come into, a chunk of money that I can spend for a discretionary purchase, then I look and see what I want that I can spend it on.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #22

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Right now my decisions are calculated until I get my basic battery of firearms in place, then I can make my impulse buys.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

mine are about 50/50. i have a list of those i am looking for and are to some degree calculated. sometimes i run across a deal on something i would like to own that's not on my list and do buy it.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

It depends on a few things like if I'm saving up for something specific, if I need it for something, and it's price. I won't spend $1200 on an impulse buy, but I also won't worry too much about research on a $100 gun. I'm also a sucker for a good deal. If I have the money, and it's a decent gun, I'll probably buy it.

Most of the guns I have were not impulse buys. I did at least some research on them or at least knew that I wanted them beforehand. A few were impulse buys. So far I'm happy with all of them.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-17-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

A weird mix of the two; I have a list of "wants" as long as my arm and keep an eye out for things I might not have decided I want yet. I went to buy a GP100 from a local FFL/pawnshop; it was a pretty good deal at about $400; I didn't see anything else out that caught my fancy or was on my arm of "wants" and asked if pawndude had taken anything in in trade lately. Pawndude pops up a CZ75b in good condition; it was added to the "wants" in about 3.7 seconds; it left with me for about $400.

I looked at every pawn shop in the county for a CZ52; when I saw a decent one at the gunshow I bought it immediately.

My beloved Mossberg 500 was purchased on the way to dove hunt while in college. I asked what they had for $100.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #26

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
All my firearms purchases have been calculated. I decide what I want then save up to buy it. I don't have enough $$ to do much impulse buying.
Same. They have to be calculated and unfortunately they are few and far between. Some day I hope to impulse buy. Is that a good dream? I think so.