Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Impulse or Calculated? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/impulse-calculated-94028/)

txpossum 07-17-2013 01:23 PM

Impulse or Calculated?

What would you consider most of your firearms purchases to be -- the result of impulse or careful calculation?

I definitely fall into the impulse category. Now, fortunately most of my "basic" firearm "needs" are covered, so any new firearms I buy is just gravy. Oh, I have a few holes I will eventually fill -- I'm covered with mid-power .30 rifles, but don't have anything bigger than 30-06, and lack a "varmint" caliber such as 22/250; and I'm currently without a .44 magnum handgun --but these days I usually buy on the basis of finding a good deal rather than search for a particular firearm.

I have probably bought four rifles while searching for the right Marlin lever action in .35 Remington, which, btw, I still don't have, but could not pass up the deal. Oh, I keep a few "wants" in the back of my mind that I look for, but I can afford to wait on the right deal before buying.

So, do you think carefully before buying a firearm, or just wait till one jumps out at you?

johnr1943 07-17-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1306831)
What would you consider most of your firearms purchases to be -- the result of impulse or careful calculation?...

Yes!!

:D

mountainman13 07-17-2013 01:34 PM

A nearly equal mix of both.

gr8oldguy 07-17-2013 01:49 PM

The early handgun purchases were calculated and researched. I have so many now, that it comes down to will I have room for it in the safe, or do I need to buy a larger one. So many guns, so little time.

johnr1943 07-17-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8oldguy (Post 1306849)
The early handgun purchases were calculated and researched. I have so many now, that it comes down to will I have room for it in the safe, or do I need to buy a larger one. So many guns, so little time.

I'd go for bigger safe... :D

HighSpeed 07-17-2013 02:02 PM

A little of both. My last purchase, an HK USPc .40, was specifically because I wanted an HK in my collection and only had one other .40.

My next purchase will be a .357 with at least a 4" barrel, again, because I don't have one in my collection.

winds-of-change 07-17-2013 02:45 PM

All my firearms purchases have been calculated. I decide what I want then save up to buy it. I don't have enough $$ to do much impulse buying. :(

JW357 07-17-2013 03:31 PM

Prolly a slight majority being calculated as of late. Very close between the two, though. If I had more money I guarantee I would do more impulse buys.

notdku 07-17-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnr1943 (Post 1306838)
Yes!!

:D

Agreed. Typically I do a lot of research then not buy. Then I see it and have to have it so I buy it.

yazul42 07-17-2013 03:52 PM

When I was younger, most everything was calculated due to funds, then after better jobs and extra coin, some were definitely impulse. After a costly divorce, much of my collection was sold and I have yet to replace some of those models since they seem to be at a premium price these days. I have passed up many very good buys simply because I felt money could be used in a more practical way at the time,, kick my own butt for that a lot,, but luckily now that I can buy on impulse if I wish, it is normally reserved for when my wife gets a real itch for a new shotgun,,, trap shooters can drive you nuts,,, but she's worth it to me,, although I have been poking around for a summer carry piece,, who knows,,,,,,,