Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Importance of grammar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Come on trip is it really that bad i mean i know that it can get tiresome having to read a post over and over again i get what you mean about the punctuation it can be pretty agrevating sometimes especially when you cant understand the meaning of what the person is saying i always give the person the benefit of the doubt and just let it go sometimes you can read the entire post and not understand what the person is trying to say i just read what i wrote and yes its pretty bad i get what you mean :-)
That's just wrong man. I'm almost out of aspirin.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #52

Liked 271 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
So you typed before? When I was is high school a guy would get beat up for taking typing. Why are you posting this? I'm sure your not the intended target. Everyone makes mistakes, that is what spell check is for.
I'm a chicken pecker typer myself. My nephews that are Marines use correct grammer. As they say it, It seperates us from them. Without periods, comma's, What are we. Your posts are fine. Look at the above and see why!
All the guys in high school in 1972 took the typing class because the teacher had at least 44DD tits, perfect figure, beautiful face, young, wore a mini skirt near always, didn't wear underwear, and usually didn't cross her legs when she sat. Beaver shots amundo. Did I mention she also had a strong sexy southern drawl.

Side benifit: We all typed near 100 WPM and got straight A's to stay in her crowded class. Typing fast and accurate in college also came in handy for term papers that had to be long. PC or laptop computers didn't exist then. I had a Smith - Corona typrwriter for college. Also a person who could type quick and accurate could charge $20.00 and up to type some other dopes paper for them. Paid for alot of beer and more than my fair share of whores.

We used slide rules. Calculators came to be in existance about 1973 and were near $1000.00 for a hand held. A couple years later the same ones were $200.00. Now they are more like $2.99 Also I walked 7 miles to and from school every day because the bus was too much temptation to get into trouble and I always got caught.

Oh... Im 56 Y.O. and still am a sucker for a well built, sexy, educated, young chick. Damn that typing teacher, she ruined me for all other bitches.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-17-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #53

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
All the guys in high school in 1972 took the typing class because the teacher had at least 44DD tits, perfect figure, beautiful face, young, wore a mini skirt near always, didn't wear underwear, and usually didn't cross her legs when she sat. Beaver shots amundo. Did I mention she also had a strong sexy southern drawl.

Side benifit: We all typed near 100 WPM and got straight A's to stay in her crowded class. Typing fast and accurate in college also came in handy for term papers that had to be long. PC or laptop computers didn't exist then. I had a Smith - Corona typrwriter for college. Also a person who could type quick and accurate could charge $20.00 and up to type some other dopes paper for them. Paid for alot of beer and more than my fair share of whores.

We used slide rules. Calculators came to be in existance about 1973 and were near $1000.00 for a hand held. A couple years later the same ones were $200.00. Now they are more like $2.99 Also I walked 7 miles to and from school every day because the bus was too much temptation to get into trouble and I always got caught.

Oh... Im 56 Y.O. and still am a sucker for a well built, sexy, educated, young chick. Damn that typing teacher, she ruined me for all other bitches.
I'm 50 this year, so I understand where your coming from. Look at your above post! Perfect. For me it was Miss Leadbitter in 8th grade. No doubt double E's. We use to open all the windows in the winter before she got to class. I traded my 1st wife and upgraded. Although my wife is 47, she is the sexiest woman I know, even w/ sweats.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #54

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not an English major, but I do like to make sure that my grammer and spelling are correct. I write a lot, including songs, stories, and such so I try to make sure my work is top notch so to speak. I've always been this way ever since a kid, guess I'm just different than most people my age.

Not to mention I do a lot of a philosophical and religious study in my spare time.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #55

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

DAMN, i almost passed out trying to read that without a breath!
Lol, thats the effect i was going for. Just imagine trying to listen to someone talk like that. Talk about making your brain hurt!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #56

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

That's just wrong man. I'm almost out of aspirin.
Sorry brother, couldn't help myself.. I needed an aspirin after writing it :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #57

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Sorry brother, couldn't help myself.. I needed an aspirin after writing it :-)
I'll bet. Did you write it all in one breath the same way we ended up reading it?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Maybe that doesn't matter to you.
Do you believe your post is grammatically correct?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #59

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I usually am good at my grammer when writing but I do write on this forum as well as others with a few errors. I used to not have many or any written grammer errors but due to the running of my business I've ended up paying others to draft, respond, and compose written documents for me for quite awhile. Whats the old saying??? Use it or loose it.*

I guess I've lost some of it when it comes to composing some posts on the internet. I forget to use commas, capitol letters, and I mispell words at times. I also have seen that I've recently (the last 3 years) get caught up in run ons,syntax, and other grammer faux pas more and more. Could be age, TIA's, crappy key board, speed of typing, and just not doing it for where it counts for many years.

I bet someone reading this, who knows, can find some grammer errors in this post.
We all make grammar/spelling mistakes. I don't have a problem with mistakes as much as trying to read something written by someone who doesn't give a rip. Why bother writing something that requires a 15 year old to decrypt?

*(Bad news: it's actually "Use it or lose it.")

Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #60
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7351 Times on 4262 Posts
Likes Given: 9478

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
Er, hum, it's someone's, not someones.
Now will I be soundly chastised?
Actually you are wrong. The contraction "someone's" means "someone is" (as in "someone's gonna get chastised for their bad grammar.") . "Someones" indicates possession, as in an opinion which is what the OP intended.