Importance of grammar - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Importance of grammar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I usually am good at my grammer when writing but I do write on this forum as well as others with a few errors. I used to not have many or any written grammer errors but due to the running of my business I've ended up paying others to draft, respond, and compose written documents for me for quite awhile. Whats the old saying??? Use it or loose it.

I guess I've lost some of it when it comes to composing some posts on the internet. I forget to use commas, capitol letters, and I mispell words at times. I also have seen that I've recently (the last 3 years) get caught up in run ons,syntax, and other grammer faux pas more and more. Could be age, TIA's, crappy key board, speed of typing, and just not doing it for where it counts for many years.

I bet someone reading this, who knows, can find some grammer errors in this post.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-17-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #32

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
I usually am good at my grammer when writing but I do write on this forum as well as others with a few errors. I used to not have many or any written grammer errors but due to the running of my business I've ended up paying others to draft, respond, and compose written documents for me for quite awhile. Whats the old saying??? Use it or loose it.

I guess I've lost some of it when it comes to composing some posts on the internet. I forget to use commas, capitol letters, and I mispell words at times. I also have seen that I've recently (the last 3 years) get caught up in run ons,syntax, and other grammer faux pas more and more. Could be age, TIA's, crappy key boad, speed of typing, and just not doing it for where it counts for many years.

I bet someone rading this, who knows, can find some grammer errors in this post.
And a few misspelled words

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #33

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And a few misspelled words
See..... I told you so. Sometimes I do use the edit mode.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #34

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
See..... I told you so. Sometimes I do use the edit mode.
I don't mind the misspellings or grammer. It's the punctuation. When there are 3 paragraphs that are all one long run on sentence, it gives me a headache. And I went to Mississippi public schools.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #35

I find interesting the obstinate pride some people take in not writing clear, grammatically correct sentences. There is nothing to be proud about not communicating effectively. It's the " if you don't like it, don't read it" mentality that I don't understand. A great idea can be hamstrung by poor grammar.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #36

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Grammer is one thing, lazy writing is another. Many of us frequent these forums to be informed and entertained. Lazy writing that lacks any hint of thought or creativity is boring. Sure, there are times when a simple question or a simple answer is in order, but there are other occasions where a story or personal experience is expressed or information is shared. With these posts, some degree of thought is always appreciated. The power of persuasion, accurate facts, chooseing words to best convey thoughts and a little humor can go a long way. It doesn't take alot of time, but it does require some degree of effort. Many do an excellant job at this...far better than me. Oh...and lecturing makes for the crappiest reading of all

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #37

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuapo View Post
I find interesting the obstinate pride some people take in not writing clear, grammatically correct sentences. There is nothing to be proud about not communicating effectively. It's the " if you don't like it, don't read it" mentality that I don't understand. A great idea can be hamstrung by poor grammar.
If you don't like how someone writes something then don't read it, it is as simple as that. You are free to choose for your self. If a person likes how they write you nor anyone else has any place to say **** about it.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Grammar

A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Er, hum, it's someone's, not someones.
Now will I be soundly chastised?

You are absolutely correct though! Correct grammar is essental and important in any language. Trying to read an article that is grammatically incorrect is infuriating because it does not convey a concise message, it conveys only gibberish.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #39
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Grammar

Original posted by freefall, "A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Maybe that doesn't matter to you."

Reply: Er, hum, it's someone's, not someones.
Now will I be soundly chastised?

You are absolutely correct though! Correct grammar is essental and important in any language. Trying to read an article that is grammatically incorrect is infuriating because it does not convey a concise message, it conveys only gibberish.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #40

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

As long as i can make out what someone is meaning it normally doesnt bother me enough to say something. BUT..there are some posts where you can automatically tell that the person is a little off.."being nice".. Even then, as long as they talk rational and not like some of the recent thread starters ive seen..it doesnt bother me..but if their being retarded intentionally then it agrivates me

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis