Importance of grammar - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Importance of grammar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i agree this is the most bestest read i readed in longest time

Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've seen many posts with no punctuation or capital letters. It makes it pretty difficult to decipher their meaning when everything is just one long string of words. I know that nobody's grammar & spelling are perfect, but didn't we all learn how to begin & end a written sentence? Normally I just overlook spelling/grammar errors, but yesterday I couldn't stop myself. I just had to correct someone who posted (on a different forum) that something had "peeked my interest". Peaked is bad enough, but peeked???

As far as dumbing down of speech is concerned, the latest trend is to use "all" and "like" to mean say or said. Add in "Yo" and one of my favorites, "See what I'm saying?" and we get sentences such as "I'm like, 'Yo, dawg!', see what I'm sayin'?"

English at it's finest!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Maybe that doesn't matter to you.
Either way the horse is happier.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

This can be a touchy subject.

I'd rather see participation with bad grammar than no participation @ all.

I send 50-125 text a day. I don't edit every single one.

Grammar LEO

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

image-2662841785.png  

Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #25

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Punctuation is more important to me than spelling and grammar.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
I've seen many posts with no punctuation or capital letters. It makes it pretty difficult to decipher their meaning when everything is just one long string of words. I know that nobody's grammar & spelling are perfect, but didn't we all learn how to begin & end a written sentence? Normally I just overlook spelling/grammar errors, but yesterday I couldn't stop myself. I just had to correct someone who posted (on a different forum) that something had "peeked my interest". Peaked is bad enough, but peeked???

As far as dumbing down of speech is concerned, the latest trend is to use "all" and "like" to mean say or said. Add in "Yo" and one of my favorites, "See what I'm saying?" and we get sentences such as "I'm like, 'Yo, dawg!', see what I'm sayin'?"

English at it's finest!
>>snort<< I LOVE that sort of grammatical failing! It tends to tip me off that the one using it THINKS of themselves as being highly intelligent, educated and overall well read. When in truth it just shows how intellectually inept they are truly are.

That being typed.......i have found myself re-reading a post of my own and saying to myself "did you type that" or "You idiot, thats totally wrong". Like when one will use the incorrect version of Their, There or They're. It happens!

HERE what i'm saying?

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #27
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Even rudimentary punctuation is nice.

But lets face it, the English language is a BITCH, at best! I know i fail miserably at spelling, grammar and especially punctuation. But all y'all still put up with me and my inane thoughts.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #28

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I agree, a comma or a period can keep a conversation understandable.

I got busted today for bad use of abbreviation. I was totally to blame for it though. One of those bad habits I picked up. (ya, bad grammar)

CC- Constitutional Carry
cc- concealed carry

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

Bad grammar annoys me but I don't let it get to me. If somebody writes something that I find difficult to read, I don't read it. I get great enjoyment out of reading something that is well written, I strive to use correct grammar and spelling to the best of my ability (something that has become immensely difficult with this new laptop I am using, as a bit of dirt has fallen beneath the keys and moves around so I never know which key will not function properly after moving it around) and I do not use Autocorrect or Spellcheck (no, I don't own a smartphone).

If you want people to read what you write it behooves you to write something that is readable. This includes using whole words rather than "texting hashtags". I also don't care for people using acronyms without deciphering the acronym at the start.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #30

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Bad grammar annoys me but I don't let it get to me. If somebody writes something that I find difficult to read, I don't read it. I get great enjoyment out of reading something that is well written, I strive to use correct grammar and spelling to the best of my ability (something that has become immensely difficult with this new laptop I am using, as a bit of dirt has fallen beneath the keys and moves around so I never know which key will not function properly after moving it around) and I do not use Autocorrect or Spellcheck (no, I don't own a smartphone).

If you want people to read what you write it behooves you to write something that is readable. This includes using whole words rather than "texting hashtags". I also don't care for people using acronyms without deciphering the acronym at the start.
Now see, if some one writes a lengthy post like yours, and there is not a single period or comma, it bugs the hell out of me. And I simply can't stop reading because it's annoying me, I have to go all the way through it. that's just my personality. I haven't said any thing about it because no one has asked an opinion until now.