Importance of grammar - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Importance of grammar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Plus the fact that people are now verbally using the "o.m.g" and "w.t.f". Really?!? Auto correct and spell check are a wonderful design... shame not many use it.
I once was talking to a co-worker about a problem we were trying to resolve in Blood Bank. I asked her what medications the patient was on and what was the patient's admitting diagnoses. Her answer........"IDK". I'm serious. I gave her this look........

Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #12

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

Default English cartoons

A most interesting collection of cartoons on grammar & word choice can be found here:

Comics :: Grammar - The Oatmeal

(Maybe it should be a sticky? )

Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I posted this on another forum 8 years ago - still applies:

Quote:
Today I sat through a workshop entitled "Mistake-free grammar and Proof Reading". This was perhaps the best one-day class I've experienced. I won't bore you with the specifics; I will share the underlying theme:
People perceive you, rightly or wrongly, based in large part on how well you communicate

I find this especially true on a forum. Recently I was engaged in a bit of a debate with another member. I made a comment correcting what I thought was "bad logic."

Later in the thread, the user attempted to qualify his statements in a new reply. I contend the explanation wouldn't have been necessary had the user simply written what he meant, in the first place.

I am becoming discouraged with the amount of simply bad grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure I find online. That is NOT to say I am an English major - in fact I have no college degree. I am writing about the lack of even mediocre grammar/punctuation ability.

Does anyone share my frustration? There are times when I would have replied back to such a user with a witty remark or even an insult. Recently, I have reached the conclusion that it may not be lack of trying on the part of the user, but a simple case of "lack of information".

Below I've listed a few examples, many I relearned today, of some common problems we face with the English language.

Read the following paragraphs. The words are identical. Only the punctuation was changed. One can see the DRASTIC difference in meaning.

Dear Damon,
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feeling whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy-will you let me be yours?
Jennifer

Dear Damon:
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feeling whatsoever. When we're apart I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,
Jennifer

THAT, my friends, is what I'm writing about. Replying to topics, and giving your 'opinion', it is wise to keep in mind the words you write are the ONLY way readers can judge how you feel.

Run-on sentences
Two or more complete ideas that are joined without punctuation create a run-on sentence. Readability studies show sentences of <20 words are best for comprehension, with an average sentence consisting of 15-17 words.
If you want people to read and understand what you posted, please keep this in mind

Pronouns
Proper use of pronouns:
1. Susan and I attended the BBQ with Bill and him.
2. We club members will compete in the race today.
3. It was their car and my stereo that were stolen from the parking lot.
4. Whom were you racing?
5. Whose car was ticketed for being too loud? Note* WHOSE...not "who's" which means 'who is'
6. This is a photo of my wife and me. (misuse of '...and I' is a pet peeve of mine lately. To know which is correct, remove the other person/subject in the sentence. If it still works, you picked wisely. In this case I can say "This is a photo of me" - so I know 'me' is right. "This is a photo of I" is wrong.)

Frequently misused words:

Affect/Effect
Affect - to influence, to change.
An organization's profitability can affect whether employees receive raises.
Effect - (noun) impression, results (verb) to cause.
Global warming is having no effect on our lives. However, it has effected a change in the way some view our future.

Farther/Further
Farther-refers to physical distance (e.g., Let's drive no farther today)
Further-refers to degree or extent (e.g. Let's argue about this no further)

Eager/Anxious
Anxious - Uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried (e.g., I'm anxious about an upcoming test)
Eager - Having or showing keen interest, desire, (e.g., I'm eager for Christmas to arrive.)

Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i am no english major by any means, but do try to say what i mean so that i may be understood. i will at least try to be legible and sound like i have some intelligence. i ain't perfeck, but aim to tri to bee!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #15

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Don't like how I say something then don't read it. It's a free country and you can do as you please just like me.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Don't like how I say something then don't read it. It's a free country and you can do as you please just like me.
We don't read what you say. Maybe you should have used "Don't like how I WRITE something, then don't read it!"

Might have been more-clear that way.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

LOL!!! I surmise if we were to return to this country a
hundred years from now we wouldn't be able to understand English.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This thread brings teh lulz.

Be Well.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #19

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

"I have nothing but contempt for anyone who can spell a word only one way." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, among others.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i am no english major by any means, but do try to say what i mean so that i may be understood. i will at least try to be legible and sound like i have some intelligence. i ain't perfeck, but aim to tri to bee!
(i) do see what you mean.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”