Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Importance of grammar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/importance-grammar-51966/)

freefall 11-17-2011 05:28 AM

Importance of grammar

A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Maybe that doesn't matter to you.:eek:

Vikingdad 11-17-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall (Post 629695)
A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I am in total agreement.

Sincerely,

Uncle Jack.

P.S.
Thanks for your help with the horse. Can you help me with the mule next week?

Seriously though, I agree with you, it is very difficult to follow a post that does not follow conventional English grammar. It drives me crazy!

freefall 11-17-2011 05:37 AM

You tie the mules legs and I'll twist its tail while you do the deed. Any time Uncle Jack.:)

danf_fl 11-17-2011 05:45 AM

Some blame it on their i-phones and auto-correct.

Having an i-phone myself, I have to say that is not the reason for bad grammer.

robocop10mm 11-17-2011 05:47 AM

Our society has gotten so incredibly dumbed down. Text speak is the norm with many people under 35. The importance of proper written communication cannot be emphasized enough. I deal with reports from officers that do not have the first clue about grammar. I will wash a rookie faster for poor report writing than almost anything else. It is easy to document with cut and paste and almost impossible to deny.

LONGHAIR 11-17-2011 06:15 AM

My GRAMMAR...SUCKS BAD...then some.........:eek:

winds-of-change 11-17-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall (Post 629695)

UrbanNinja 11-17-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Our society has gotten so incredibly dumbed down. Text speak is the norm with many people under 35.

I am under 35 and this drives me insane. The part that annoys me most is, 90% of current phone models have a full keyboard. Yet, people still are too lazy to type a complete word. for example... "yea" in stead of "yeah". Is our generation so lazy that it cannot type one extra letter while a full keyboard is literally at your fingertips?

winds-of-change 11-17-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 629722)
I am under 35 and this drives me insane. The part that annoys me most is, 90% of current phone models have a full keyboard. Yet, people still are too lazy to type a complete word. for example... "yea" in stead of "yeah". Is our generation so lazy that it cannot type one extra letter while a full keyboard is literally at your fingertips?

When I text it is grammatically correct. I do sometimes goof up hitting the right keys when spelling but it's not that I don't know how to spell, it's just that my finger may hit the key next to the one I'm aiming for. One time I was driving and I had my friend send a text to my daughter. The texter friend used 'text speak' and my daughter sent me back a text saying "Are you drunk?" because I never text like that.

UrbanNinja 11-17-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change

When I text it is grammatically correct. I do sometimes goof up hitting the right keys when spelling but it's not that I don't know how to spell, it's just that my finger may hit the key next to the one I'm aiming for. One time I was driving and I had my friend send a text to my daughter. The texter friend used 'text speak' and my daughter sent me back a text saying "Are you drunk?" because I never text like that.

Lol. Tapping an incorrect key is understandable. When it is blatantly done... it makes me crazy. Plus the fact that people are now verbally using the "o.m.g" and "w.t.f". Really?!? Auto correct and spell check are a wonderful design... shame not many use it.