IMO, it disrespects the uniform... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

IMO, it disrespects the uniform...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 809 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A veteran is allowed to wear the uniform damn near anytime he wants pretty sure there is an executive order on that by Bush jr and they are authorized to wear service medals on civilian clothing on veterans and Memorial Day

Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
A veteran is allowed to wear the uniform damn near anytime he wants pretty sure there is an executive order on that by Bush jr and they are authorized to wear service medals on civilian clothing on veterans and Memorial Day
Basically correct. If someone who served rates the National Defense Service Medal they are allowed to wear their uniform after they get out. But if they wear it they will still be expected to have a professional military appearance (no beards, fresh hair cut, uniform must still fit correctly, etc.)

But we don't know if this dude is a veteran. All we know so far is that he was wearing a uniform of some sort.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

More information needed here.. If he's not miss representing or disgracing the uni I fail to see any issue here.
Maybe he's a vet, making bet related art and using his status to draw customers..? So what? Again, with the extremely minimal amount of information supplied, it's all speculation.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3534 Times on 2028 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Actual Army BDU type uniform with patches, rank, and badges.

As I said, in my opinion, the use of the uniform for a prop to sell personal merchandise should not be allowed. The uniform represents more than a sales prop.

Maybe my old age is getting to me, and my beliefs are old fashioned.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #15

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Actual Army BDU type uniform with patches, rank, and badges. As I said, in my opinion, the use of the uniform for a prop to sell personal merchandise should not be allowed. The uniform represents more than a sales prop. Maybe my old age is getting to me, and my beliefs are old fashioned.
I see your point, if the guy had some kinda situation where he was homeless or 100% Disabled or unworkable like like my buddy, I think the use of a uni is a small price to help a vet help himself.. If some avg joe like myself that had bit served has purchased a uni via eBay or something just to sell stuff, that'd def not be cool, at all. I'd be interested in his story.
If you go back and inquire, please report back.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Last edited by deadsp0t; 12-15-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3534 Times on 2028 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Understand that this is in an area that depends on a Naval Air Station.

Most of the active duty military in the city are young officers trying to get through flight school. Rarely does one see an enlisted Army individual (unless they are on leave) and rarely in a BDU type uniform. I think that is what made him stick out in my mind.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8249 Times on 4249 Posts
Likes Given: 9495

The soldier in me says he cant wear it to sell something without permission from his command. The Vet in me says, was he representing the US Army in a manner the rest of us that are Proud of our heritage would expect and demand?

I have 6 full sets of BDU's all tagged, Chevrons sewed on and mostly new. They have been packed away for 12 years and I dont know if I will ever find a reason to pull them out again, Maybe my Dress Greens for D-Day (Death). If I do wear them again, it will not be to disparage the US Army or its Vets that have served our nation honorably. They will be pressed, my boots will be polished and bloused, my hair cut, my face shaved and my Hat close at hand. Thats how you wear it and have any connection with it that is meaningful to a US Service Member, anything else is less than "Duty, Honor and Country".

Take the US Army patch and rank off it and its just a coat!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wear mine for parades and such and once for a presentation for a college class(really just to piss off my flaming libturd teacher who hates the military) I agree with not bringing disgrace on the uniform but at the same time if he is a down on his luck veteran and he is using it to promote the sale of his military related art more power to him it's not like the government is living up to the promises it's made to vets as evidenced by the backlog of claims the shutting certain vets out of va care and the like

Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #19

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Maybe my old age is getting to me, and my beliefs are old fashioned.
You may be right about that. As long as the guy does nothing to dishonor the uniform, maybe some tolerance would be in order. You can purchase BDUs at ay Military surplus store, and a lot of folks like the look.

I'm not drubbing on you Dan; I turned 50 this year and I definitely find myself becoming less tolerant of the ways of younger or different folk. IMHO all that means is I need to work harder and practice tolerance. I don't want to be the crabby old man (at least not all the time lol)

Old 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski
does not apply to outdated, decommisioned uniforms or pieces of uniforms. if it did, hollywood must arrest every actor whoever wore one.
. On this point in every movie about the military where current issue uniforms are shown there has to be at least one intentional mistake on every uniform or else they violate the law on impersonating military members