Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Imagine... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/imagine-35346/)

AusLach 12-08-2010 01:18 PM

Imagine...

Today marks thirty years since one of the greatest song-writers of all time was gunned down at the entrance to The Dakota, NYC.

RIP John Winston Ono Lennon

spittinfire 12-08-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNLaFrance (Post 399349)
Mods please delete this post.

I wouldn't go that far but John Lennon was an idiot and anti-American.

Greebo 12-08-2010 04:47 PM

so what? It's possible to appreciate someones music without caring or supporting their politics, I still enjoy U2's music but will change the channel if I see Bono prattling on about anything other then his music - isn't 30 yrs a bit long to be caring a grudge against anyone?

spittinfire 12-08-2010 05:23 PM

I'm not holding a grudge, I just think he was an idiot.

NGIB 12-08-2010 05:30 PM

If we boycotted musicians & actors for their political views - there would be nearly nobody left to watch or listen to. Sadly, the entertainment industry is painfully liberal and probably always will be (exactly like our bastions of higher education). I watch their programs, listen to their music - and totally ignore their left wing ramblings...

Dillinger 12-08-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 399352)
I wouldn't go that far but John Lennon was an idiot and anti-American.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 399394)
I'm not holding a grudge, I just think he was an idiot.

I am going to go ahead and side with Spitty on this one. I don't think deleting the post is warranted, but the living flesh value of this person as a man and his clearly Anti American Manifesto, all the while counting stacks of American Currency, could be measured in the volume it takes to fill the inside mass of a Cherrio.

winds-of-change 12-08-2010 06:57 PM

My favorite musician in the whole world, one that I've loved since I was 12 would probably be very much not liked on this forum. In fact, I may never tell who it is as it juuust might get me banned for life. :(

orangello 12-08-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusLach (Post 399280)
RIP John Winston Ono Lennon

Yep, thanks for some groovy tunes. We listened to the Beatles almost daily on the 45 minute school bus ride in high school. We even listened to the White Album in government class (studying Manson court case).

notdku 12-08-2010 08:57 PM

Regardless of his political affiliation, or his beliefs, I think all of us would be hard pressed to find a musician we listen to that was not influenced by him.

He and the Beatles changed music. RIP Lennon.

AusLach 12-08-2010 09:27 PM

Geez, wasn't quite expecting some of that... I sure as hell wasn't advocating what he preached, and I agree, his ideologies were downright stupid, but regardless of all that the bloke could sing; and noone deserves to be gunned down in the street outside their home.

Him and his mates changed music forever, and for that, I am thankful that he lived.