I'm PISSED!!!!!!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

I'm PISSED!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Its getting bad out there for sure. These cats have found that putting a gun in your face gets you jailed and robbing you this way gets them a slap on the wrist if they even get caught.

I had something like that happen with my credit cards because those "Slum Dogs" in India that our American companies hire for telephone support are screwing us.

I've went old school with my finances and I don't use debit cards.

I opened an account with ATM only seperate from my checking with only a few grand in it (what I'm willing to lose)

I now pay money orders for my bills and if the tech support is out of the country, I don't do business.

I even watch my checking as I wrote a fella a check for $700 for some back-hoe work and my bank cashed it for $2700 and he didn't alter the check.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

You gotta watch money orders as well. there are tons of fake ones out there. Then when you use it you still have to pay for it.

There is no need to go all 15th centruy on this.

You just have to make sure what your doing and where. You are at a higher risk by using an ATM machine than by buying something over the internet. The ATM Machines do not transmit any data encrypted. Pay attention to where you are buying from and who you are dealing with. If the retailer on the internet doesn't use encryption then don't buy from them.

Watch what you put in the trash as well. That is still one of the best ways to get your CC and personal data. Shredders are your friend. spend the money and get a cross cut and one that almost grinds the paper into pulp. the smaller the piece the harder it is to put back together.

I don't mail out any bills I pay mine all threw the banks web site. The government takes enough money from me I am not going to give them any more of my money in that racket they call the USPS. You think people in the USPS don't steal cc bills and any number of things. Two years in a row someone in the Richmond Post Office stole my kids Christmas presents from their grand parents. From then on we use fed ex or UPS.

One of the new things is to get your card when you pay for say breakfast and act like they swipe it then they say oh something happened and they then swipe it again and don't hand it back to you. This is how they got my dads ATM card. This is just like CCW always be on alert.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #13
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Damn, that is harsh. Been there. Not at that level, but certainly had to stand by while someone jacked my bank account. My name is still red flagged with "fraud" because of that BS.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #14
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That more than sucks!

Have any idea how this might have happened?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #15

You've got to really watch out for those bastards. Happens every day. Has'nt ever happened to me, but several people I know have had it happen to them. Good luck to you.
If you can't make them see the light, make the feel the heat: Ronald Reagan
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #16
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Damn Bear sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to get everything squared away.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that Bear.

I think if they were able to open new accounts that means they have your SS# also. This may not go away for quite a while. Me, I shred all the mail I get that has anything, even my name on it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3491 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That Sucks Bear - I am sorry to hear that. I hope you can work with your bank and CC companies to work this out.

One thing we did in our house is get Lifelock. It costs $99/year - but the advantages are worth way more than that to me.

I hate to go to a store and shop for things. Absolutely hate it. So, birthdays, Christmas, all that stuff is done on line. I can't tell you how great it has been to have protection for all those purchases.

In about 4 years of using the service, I have only ever had two issues. One, someone jacked my number from a site I had never ordered from before and tried to make purchases of the same damn item I ordered ( in bulk ) from another site. That was caught instantly and was forwarded to the police.

The other was when I went on a cruise in Mexico and forgot to tell the card company. I was trying to make a purchase, in Puerto Varrarta, and they kept denying the purchase....LOL That was kind of infuriating, but that area of the world is known for a ton of fraud, so once I got it straightened out, I was thankful for the protection....

Old 07-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm sorry to hear about that. I've always wondered if I should look into some type of ID protection. I have good credit and I have worked hard to make sure I do. If some hacker stole that from me I would be furious!
I hope you can get it all worked out. Good luck!
If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer
Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #20

Before getting into the firearms industry I worked for a large bank in the Identity Theft Unit. I would like to offer some advice. I hope your bank has made many if not all these suggestions to you already.

Keep in mind these steps will not garuntee you are fraud free. There is no silver bullet. The goal is to make it such a pain for the criminal to commit fraud against you that they move on. Groups like lifelock and other companies offer valuable services to victims and should also be looked into.

Step 1. Contact any of the three credit agencies to get a 90 day alert. This will ensure that if anyone applies for anything in your name you will be contacted. It is a free service and there are two other types of alerts. An extended alert lasts for 7 years and a police report must be mailed to all three groups. A freeze disables credit qualification to your ssn until you contact them and remove it.
Equifax 800-685-1111 / Experian 888-397-3742 / TransUnionCorp 800-680-7289
if these numbers do not direct you to the correct area do a search for credit agency fraud numbers.

Step 2. Contact Chexsystems at 888.478.6536 or go to there site at: https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumerinfo/us/en/chexsystems/theftaffidavit/index.htm. Place a five year alert with them. This will ensure if someone opens a bank account in your name (which will NOT show up on your credit report) you will be contacted.

Step 3. Password all your accounts. Credit card, loan, retirement, cds, checking/savings, even your phone company. Call them all and ask that they place a verbal password on your account. If your password is "peanut" they will ask you for it every time you call. If you do not repond "peanut" they cannot assit you, period. The phone company is very important. The criminal can call your phone co. stating they are moving, travelling, whatever. They can have calls forwarded to there cell, then when the alerts kick in they validate the new accounts and you never know it happened.

Step 4. Contact Opt out and ask them to disable pre-approved marketing. This will get rid of those "you have been pre-approved" offers you get in the mail. It will also ensure the criminal does not recieve these through your mailbox or the fraud address being used.

Step 5. File an ID Theft Complaint with the FTC. You can do this by calling them at 877-438-4338 or there website: Federal Trade Commission .

Step 6. Pull your credit report and review it from all three agencies. You can do this for free once a year at www.annualcreditreport.com. Make sure you print each one as you view it as it will only allow you to view them ONCE a year.

Step 7. Contact any companies that have applications or inquiries on your reports that you did not authorize. You will be asking them to file a fraud claim on the account. They will send you an affidavit and make sure the debt does not report to you while being investigated.

Helpful website: Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft

FTC 24 hour free id theft support: 877-438-4338

These steps have been written by my hand from memory and are subject to any errors and typos I have made. All of these steps can be found or verified with web searches and on the FTC's website. These are all free services in place for victims of ID Theft. These criminals are professionals and do not like taking adverse risks when they can help it. Set up these safegaurds and it should help. I hope this information is helpful.
www.fidelisarms.com - custom lowers for ar style platform. Uppers, ammo, ect. Click on contact us and shoot me an email with any questions.

Last edited by Chris@fidelisarms; 07-27-2009 at 07:34 PM.