I'm One Proud Dad! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

I'm One Proud Dad!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9217 Times on 5060 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

So should I go on a bender every once in awhile?
Only to show him the negative side effects of drinking, of course!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

so nice to read! about him and your recovery!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8288 Times on 4261 Posts
Likes Given: 9557

Thats awesome, its so nice to hear and see that all of the crumb-eaters out there arent like the brainless frat kids we see everyday on the boob tube and in the malls! Hooray for you and your children!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #14

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
How old? I'm sure you will do OK. It is different with nephews versus your own children, but it is impossible to explain the difference.

Not sure if you understood me correctly. I used to drink heavily. I quit a couple of months ago. I served as a bad example and now he doesn't want to turn into the drinker I was. I have told him that I have smoked marijuana but didn't like the lack of control it caused (which is true). I don't lie to the boys, and I tell them that I make mistakes.
He is eight months old. And it may become permanent. We will find out in court in a few weeks.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10102 Times on 6028 Posts
Likes Given: 14339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yes, it is. good to see. Nice that I can rely on him too. He and his brother are both very confidant yet not at all cocky.
If you are confident you don't have the need to be cocky. Cocky is for people who need to 'strut their stuff'. Confident people know who they are, are content with who they are and don't need confirmation from others.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #16

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

It sounds like you and your wife raised some great kids... It's always nice to see teenges show a lot of maturity for their age and make the right decisions. There are a few adults, who need to take some lessons from your boys . :-D

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by PC167; 11-02-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 349 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Congrats Vikingdad - its refreshing to hear and with 2 boys of my own, I hope they turn out as well as your boys.

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9093 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Only to show him the negative side effects of drinking, of course!
But of course! I would have to make a significant sacrifice, but all in the name of reinforcing what he has learned from me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Thats awesome, its so nice to hear and see that all of the crumb-eaters out there arent like the brainless frat kids we see everyday on the boob tube and in the malls! Hooray for you and your children!
Both of the boys don't care for the internet too much (mainly to look up info on their projects or search for parts) and up until recently my oldest did not have a cell phone and did not want one. Our youngest still doesn't want one, so he doesn't have one (by the way, both are licensed amateur radio - HAM- operators, as am I). Neither one would be caught dead hanging out at the mall, let alone hanging out in town. They do tend to watch TV, but only good wholesome stuff like Mythbusters, MacGuyver, Roy Rogers, the Outdoor Channel shooting shows and that sort of thing.

Hooray for them indeed (me, I'm still a work in progress.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
He is eight months old. And it may become permanent. We will find out in court in a few weeks.
I hope that things work out however is best for the boy. At eight months he is not going to remember anything in his life so far that is not reinforced later. You have pretty much a clean slate to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
If you are confident you don't have the need to be cocky. Cocky is for people who need to 'strut their stuff'. Confident people know who they are, are content with who they are and don't need confirmation from others.
True that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC167 View Post
It sounds like you and your wife raised some great kids... It's always nice to see teenges show a lot of maturity for their age and make the right decisions. There are a few adults, who need to take some lessons from your boys . :-D
I attribute a lot of it, probably half of it or more, to our decision to homeschool them when our oldest was entering the 6th grade in public school. It was a family decision to be sure but once we made it we realized that we should have been doing it that way from the beginning. Had we been paying attention from the start we would have known that we were really "schooling" them in two parallel tracks, one at home and one at school. Not a week went by that we weren't counter-acting some BS that was being taught in the classroom.

There are a few adults who have been taking lessons from the boys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman View Post
Congrats Vikingdad - its refreshing to hear and with 2 boys of my own, I hope they turn out as well as your boys.
Me too. Anybody can do it, it just takes all of your love, dedication and an ability to see the faults in yourself for what they are and be willing to open up your soul to your kids and admit "I am Human". I have done this all of their lives and that is largely why we are at this point now. My quitting drinking really has little to do with it, all of the groundwork was laid long before that occurred.

We have always treated and raised the boys to be the adults we wanted them to be. We never talked down to them, always corrected them when they did something wrong and at the same time reinforcing our love for them even as they were being corrected (or as soon afterwards as they were able to receive it).

It has always driven me batty to see parents who, when their kid is doing something wrong, be it swearing, disrespect for others, hitting or whatever, and just saying "Oh, he's just a kid. We will work on that later."

There is no "later" for those kids. The lessons are being taught to them right then and right there. There is no "do over" for them. Some of them will survive this abuse and grow into responsible adults, but those are the rare exceptions to the rule. The concept of "Today is the first day of the rest of your life" could not be any more relevant than when parenting a child.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 11-02-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3798 Times on 2463 Posts

Congrats Vikingdad. Now your on my list for parental advice.