I'm One Proud Dad!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I'm One Proud Dad!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8814 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 11487

Default I'm One Proud Dad!

Today I was driving home with my son and he mentioned something that happened at school today. To give a little back-story he is 17 (or will be in a few weeks) we have home-schooled him until this year when he decided that he wanted to go to the local trade school in the automotive mechanics program. So we graduated him and he is attending the school as a high school graduate. The class is mainly made up with a bunch of dropout candidates with a few (maybe 4 or 5) students that are really interested in a career as a mechanic (my son being one of these few, and he is also well ahead of most of these students in his knowledge of cars). So anyhow this evening he says that all of the rest of the students think he is totally crazy. When I asked why he said that they were talking about drugs and alcohol today and he was the only one who has never used either one nor does he have any desire to try them out. Ever. He prefers being able to think clearly and have his full wits about him all the time without artificially hindering his mind. What makes me double proud of him is that he is willing to sit among a bunch of other kids his age who are drinking and using drugs and say "No thanks. Not even going to try it out." Not many kids have that sort of a sense of self-worth or confidence.

I must admit that I did say that I know I had some influence on his decision to be clean and sober as I have served as a bad example for most of his life with my drinking (I have recently stopped drinking entirely) and that I hope my bad example serves a useful purpose in keeping him clean and sober. I think it will.

If you are reading this, I have always been proud of you and your brother, and this just makes me prouder!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Now, just make sure you reinforce it strongly!!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Today I was driving home with my son and he mentioned something that happened at school today. To give a little back-story he is 17 (or will be in a few weeks) we have home-schooled him until this year when he decided that he wanted to go to the local trade school in the automotive mechanics program. So we graduated him and he is attending the school as a high school graduate. The class is mainly made up with a bunch of dropout candidates with a few (maybe 4 or 5) students that are really interested in a career as a mechanic (my son being one of these few, and he is also well ahead of most of these students in his knowledge of cars). So anyhow this evening he says that all of the rest of the students think he is totally crazy. When I asked why he said that they were talking about drugs and alcohol today and he was the only one who has never used either one nor does he have any desire to try them out. Ever. He prefers being able to think clearly and have his full wits about him all the time without artificially hindering his mind. What makes me double proud of him is that he is willing to sit among a bunch of other kids his age who are drinking and using drugs and say "No thanks. Not even going to try it out." Not many kids have that sort of a sense of self-worth or confidence.

I must admit that I did say that I know I had some influence on his decision to be clean and sober as I have served as a bad example for most of his life with my drinking (I have recently stopped drinking entirely) and that I hope my bad example serves a useful purpose in keeping him clean and sober. I think it will.

If you are reading this, I have always been proud of you and your brother, and this just makes me prouder!
now, buy him a new "shoot" toy. just because he is your son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
QFT

my thoughts exactly!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Im glad that he is turning out so well. Im proud of him for you too.

We just recently took custody of Sasha's nephew (maybe only temporary) and I can only hope that we can have as positive an influence as you have had on your son.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7783 Times on 4671 Posts
Likes Given: 9760

Good job, Vikingdad. It's awesome when you see your kids growing into responsible adults. He sounds like a confident young man.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Im glad that he is turning out so well. Im proud of him for you too.
Thanks. He lurks around on here so he is probably reading this.

Quote:
We just recently took custody of Sasha's nephew (maybe only temporary)
How old? I'm sure you will do OK. It is different with nephews versus your own children, but it is impossible to explain the difference.

Quote:
and I can only hope that we can have as positive an influence as you have had on your son.
Not sure if you understood me correctly. I used to drink heavily. I quit a couple of months ago. I served as a bad example and now he doesn't want to turn into the drinker I was. I have told him that I have smoked marijuana but didn't like the lack of control it caused (which is true). I don't lie to the boys, and I tell them that I make mistakes.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
So should I go on a bender every once in awhile?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
now, buy him a new "shoot" toy. just because he is your son
Oh, we have plenty to play with right now. New ones aren't in the budget right now. Been spending the beer money on reloading supplies.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Good job, Vikingdad. It's awesome when you see your kids growing into responsible adults. He sounds like a confident young man.
Yes, it is. good to see. Nice that I can rely on him too. He and his brother are both very confidant yet not at all cocky.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7783 Times on 4671 Posts
Likes Given: 9760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have told him that I have smoked marijuana but didn't like the lack of control it caused (which is true). I don't lie to the boys, and I tell them that I make mistakes.
I have always been honest with my kids, too.