Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   I'm a happy boy! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/im-happy-boy-72149/)

c3shooter 09-09-2012 11:56 PM

I'm a happy boy!

4 Attachment(s)
Have not really done anything to splurge this summer, and just got some good news- so Friday I paid a visit to my LGS for some fun- Apologies for the crappy photos- just got this camera, and learning to use it-

Picked up a Bushmaster CARbon 15 with a Bushnell Red Dot sight. First carbon fiber firearm I have had- shoots well, weighs less than the dust in the air around it- And I think the Anarchist-in-training will like it (to the noobies- my granddaughter)

Attachment 57752

On Saturday, stopped in local pawn shop that opened this year- they just got their FFL a couple of months ago. A side-by-side 12 gauge caught my eye- the wood looked like new, metal was extremely good. We arm wrestled a bit, and agreed on a price.
Attachment 57753

The gun is a Hopkins & Allen New Model Hammerless Double. It is a boxlock gun, and is prettier than the pictures show.

Attachment 57755

Took a little while researching it- appears that my new shotgun left the factory in August. Of 1913. It's 99 years old. Going to stop by my gunsmith this week, have him use his gauge to check chamber length (and safety) and plan to take that one dove shooting next week.

texaswoodworker 09-10-2012 12:18 AM

I like the AR, but I love that shotty. I can't believe something 99 years old can actually look better than a lot of brand new shotguns.

Congrats on the new guns.

NitroxAZ 09-10-2012 02:49 AM

Very nice. Congrats.

Will that take modern shotgun loads? Are you going to have the smith check it for barrel worthiness?

dog2000tj 09-10-2012 02:52 AM

Hot damn c3, congratulations. For the AIT that carbon 15 will be a perfect set up for her to learn on. As for the shotty <... long ... slow ... whistle ...> that is one lovely looking firearm ;)

c3shooter 09-10-2012 03:20 AM

On the double barrel, the barrels do NOT appear to be Damascus (have had them under the GOOD magnifier) and the bores look like mirrors.

However, I have a great crotchety old gunsmith that will be getting a look at it this week, and using his chamber gauges to check chamber length. 12 g shells were not always 2 3/4 inch- very early ones were shorter.

If it is in shooting order, it will get a limited diet of some low brass dove loads- and a trip to a cutover corn field.

spittinfire 09-10-2012 03:24 AM

Very nice!! I'm a suck for old side by sides....old over/unders too.

winds-of-change 09-10-2012 03:34 AM

Oh, man!! You hit the jackpot for sure. I am in love with that AR.

Blueguns 09-10-2012 03:35 AM

Love the side by side! Congrats on the new purchases.

CA357 09-10-2012 07:59 PM

Congratulations.

I'm curious though, is the AR just stocked and fitted with carbon fiber or is the receiver carbon fiber?

primer1 09-10-2012 08:03 PM

Nice. Don't ever take them out on a boat!