I'm back--well kinda! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I'm back--well kinda!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Do you like being on the road?

I've always though long haul would be a blast.
It depends on what time you are on the road. During the day it's ok cause there is plenty to see. Because of the height of big rigs you can see right into four-wheelers. I saw a girl one day in Oklahoma that was driving with no pants on. I guess they don't think about the fact that we can see everything that they are doing in there.

Driving at night can get pretty boring. During my training I did most of my driving at night because my driver trainer wanted me to get used to driving at night. It gets really boring when you are driving across southwestern Texas at 3 am with only a few scattered trucks every 10 or 20 miles or so with nothing to see. Or going across the desert in Arizona with nothing for hundreds of miles, better hope you don't break down.

They assigned me a Volvo truck the other day and pre-planned my first load. It was a load of steel that would take me home for the weekend as it was only going 46 miles from the house. I had to turn it down though because I had my pick-up at the terminal and it needed to go home because the wife needs it this weekend because her car goes into the shop. I wouldn't have been able to take the load anyways because when I went out to the lot to find my truck (to see weather they gave a Freightliner, Volvo, or International Pro-Star) I discovered that the truck was equipped to pull van trailers and not flatbed. Trucks used for pulling flatbads have to have a headache rack on the back of the tractor so you'll have somewhere to hang your chains and binders. I go back up there by Greyhound bus Monday morning to get the truck and start hauling loads. Hopefully I'll be heading out by Monday afternoon as I am now on mileage pay so I'm not getting payed until I start delivering loads.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
It depends on what time you are on the road. During the day it's ok cause there is plenty to see. Because of the height of big rigs you can see right into four-wheelers. I saw a girl one day in Oklahoma that was driving with no pants on. I guess they don't think about the fact that we can see everything that they are doing in there.
I drive a large RV so I know what you mean about the view into the low cars. I have to be careful though, the girlfriend is usually in the RV also.