Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   I'm back--well kinda! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/im-back-well-kinda-17386/)

dragunovsks 08-27-2009 12:03 AM

I'm back--well kinda!

For the last six weeks I've been doing my training for Swift Transportation. I had to ride with and run as a team member with a trainer for six weeks. In those six weeks I've been to Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas, Missourri (saw the Arch). I've also been to Tennessee (been there before), North Carolina (acsended and descended Black Mountain), South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi and Pennsylvannia.

I'm in the flatbed division and hauled steel coils, steel beams, lumber, truck liftgates, Freightliner RV chassis and one van load.

I was issued my truck today (Volvo) but had to turn it back in because the truck they issued me didn't have a headache rack which a flatbed truck must have. I'll have to wait till Monday to get my truck.

Shotgun Shooter 08-27-2009 12:21 AM

I'm considering Tractor Trailor school.

Congrats on surviving the long trips!
Welcome back, too.

S.S.

skullcrusher 08-27-2009 12:22 AM

Wow, tons of miles. Glad you could stop by. :D

How's the family? The little one? :D

dragunovsks 08-27-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 151289)

How's the family? The little one? :D

The little one is getting big. He's sleeping through most nights now. The wife would like me home all the time but there are much prospects as far as local jobs that pay anything. I plan on putting in a few months and if I don't like it I have two local companies that agreed to hire me as long as I can get six monthes OTR experience. With those 2 companies I can be home at least a couple times a week.

skullcrusher 08-27-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 151338)
The little one is getting big. He's sleeping through most nights now. The wife would like me home all the time but there are much prospects as far as local jobs that pay anything. I plan on putting in a few months and if I don't like it I have two local companies that agreed to hire me as long as I can get six monthes OTR experience. With those 2 companies I can be home at least a couple times a week.

Excellent. I wish you luck in your endeavor. You, sir are a good man and that = a good father and husband. :D

CA357 08-27-2009 02:29 AM

Congratulations. I hope you will get to spend more time with your family soon.

SGT-MILLER 08-27-2009 02:52 AM

Best wishes in your career. From someone that has some miles behind him also in big rigs (military rigs), take care and stay frosty on those roads.

:)

orangello 08-27-2009 04:02 PM

Be safe man! Don't ever, EVAR stop in West Memphis, AR; most of those truck stops have been crank dens & lot lizard havens for years.

My sister enjoys the occasional ridealong with her husband; he has a small trucking company, mostly flatbed work like 5 or 6 trucks.

Jo da Plumbr 08-27-2009 04:20 PM

Do you like being on the road?

I've always though long haul would be a blast.

WDB 08-28-2009 12:59 AM

Congrats on gettingthrough the training, good to hear all is well. Long haul has to be tough on the family but at least your making $. Much respect to you for doing what you have to.