Illegal Stops occurring across USA? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Illegal Stops occurring across USA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Blame the people that are driving drunk, not the police or the government for the checkpoints.

If people would get it through their head that drinking and driving don't mix, then there wouldn't be much of a need for checkpoints.

At the same time, there is no need for the cocky police officers out there abusing their power, and making life miserable for everyone.

Big001:
Quote:
I think if the Founders were to rise from the dead they would take one look at our current government and begin chanting " Armed Revolt , Armed Revolt" It's way past time for talking with these people .
Yet another reference to using violence against the government as the answer. What is wrong with you? Have you done anything to help or address your problem other than complaining on a gun forum, and alluding to the fact that armed violence against the government is the only answer?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoD View Post
I have to put my cop hat on and say that I don't see any problems with random checks, especially to catch DUI drivers. I am not sure where all the "big brother" comments are coming from. If you are a legal, registered, and sober driver you have nothing to worry about.
Yeah, The Fuhrer says you're fine as long as you have your armband and papers........

Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Interesting website. You do know that your driver's license can be revoked at any time for no good reason right? It's not a right to drive, it's a priviledge ganted to you through the 'system'.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Blame the people that are driving drunk, not the police or the government for the checkpoints.
No, I blame the police for the checkpoints because they're the ones who set them up.

If I'm driving erratically, pull me over and give me a sobriety test. But don't stop me and a bunch of others in a dragnet operation looking for drunks when none of us have given any indication of driving under the influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
If people would get it through their head that drinking and driving don't mix, then there wouldn't be much of a need for checkpoints.
The thing is, it's not just drunk-driving checks. There are "safety" checks, "seatbelt" checks, and as I noted in a previous post "untaxed fuel" and "drug" checks. Where does it stop? When do they run out of excuses to detain presumed-innocent people to look for offenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Interesting website. You do know that your driver's license can be revoked at any time for no good reason right? It's not a right to drive, it's a priviledge ganted to you through the 'system'.
Driving is indeed a privilege, not a right. Using a road (walking, biking), however, is a right, not a privilege. If I haven't given anyone cause to believe I am driving drunk or carrying drugs, please leave me the hell alone to go about my business.

What's next, cops demanding to see our "papers" as we walk down the street?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoD View Post
I have to put my cop hat on and say that I don't see any problems with random checks, especially to catch DUI drivers. I am not sure where all the "big brother" comments are coming from. If you are a legal, registered, and sober driver you have nothing to worry about.

Just this weekend we stopped a drunk driver that had a 2 month year old in the car with him. His wife was at home so drunk that she had stopped breathing. In his drunkeness instead of calling 911 he decided to drive around to "find a cop".

If you are a legal sober driver you should not be stopped PERIOD
It's a damn outrage!
Maybe upstanding Americans should stop cops randomly to see that they are really cops or if their drunk! Good cops would have nothing to worry about. Right?
Get your mind right!

"We must indeed hang together or assuredly we will all hang seperately."
Ben Franklin

"Those who would make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin

Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Yet another reference to using violence against the government as the answer. What is wrong with you? Have you done anything to help or address your problem other than complaining on a gun forum, and alluding to the fact that armed violence against the government is the only answer?
There isn't a Damn thing "wrong with me" Thank You !

As a matter of fact like millions of other Americans I have voted , written letters , emails and on occasion spoken to elected Representatives in various local positions .

Just like those millions I am sick of the implication from people like you that we are somehow to blame for the crap these people pull after electing them to a position based on what they say in a campaign and then turn around and do as they please once in the job .

One assumes he isn't dealing with little kids that have to be stood over and babysat every second of every day to keep the word they spent months giving their constituents .

This country and it's politicians have veered so far off course with their Socialization and taxation garbage refusing to enforce the laws of the land and trying at every turn to destroy the very document that outlines our freedoms the Founders wouldn't know it .

Look at just one example the recent "Heller decision" where the 2A was defined by the Supreme Court to be what we always knew it was yet the Court doesn't have it's own enforcement division and as such enforcement is up to the Executive branch .

Where is the President in enforcing that Ruling and jailing Mayors , Governors etc. etc. who are defying the ruling by leaving their Unconstitutional handgun Bans in place in cities throughout the Nation ?

Where are the National guard troops that they turned lose on Americans in the 60's , only this time to protect them from the gangs and criminal scum that infest so many cities until they have time to buy their own guns to take responsibility for their own safety ?

Even the politicians in DC are completely ignoring the ruling and they should be jailed for contempt of court , yet has anything happened to them ?

Has Bush even held any meetings to address the problem ?

The answer is NO he hasn't nor does he or any other politician intend to do a damn thing about it .

One can only be reasonable with a reasonable person and once in office none of the politicians are reasonable enough to even Obey the laws written by the Founders and all do as they please until it's time to drag out their barrel of lies to get reelected .

At that point the Constitution was written with a provision to give the citizens of the nation an option to take stronger action than to just cast a vote and hope because hoping doesn't work .

Just today Bill Clinton came to my state and had the audacity to speak about how Obama will fix this and that problem that has existed for 20+ years like Social Security when the man personally had 8 years in the White House to fix the problems he was listing and not a single person Booed or questioned him on why he didn't fix it himself !

Instead all you see is thousands of idiots all cheering , clapping and waving as they eat up the usual election year BS they Spew !

Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #17

Hate to tell ya, We dont have any rights only what the goverment allows us to have.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogmech View Post
Hate to tell ya, We dont have any rights only what the goverment allows us to have.
I'm not sure if that's tongue-in-cheek pragmatism or if you really believe that.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #19

Just a couple of points:

The police are like privates in the foxholes and trenches. They (generally) didn't think up the plan. They (probably) weren't consulted. They definately did not have a veto over the proposed activity and they are unlikely to be enjoying it anymore than you are. The fault lies with the politicians and political appointees (the generals and colonels).

There probably are a few jerks who are of an obnoxious and sadistic bent who do enjoy it. There always are a few of them in any organization. They are attracted to power. The time to object is NOT at the occurance. That is bad from all aspects; tactically, politically and media-wise, just to cite a few. Keep your cool and observe so you can more effectively respond later.

People who have been stopped need to apply pressure where it will do the most good. Don't let local politicians forget about how angry you and other people are. Confront them IN PUBLIC APPEARENCES about it. Recruit sympathic street cops to back you up at public meetings with the officers (generals and colonels) that you force the politicians to hold. Invovle the media (someone here posted about how fast a DA and public affairs officer responded when the story hit the TV).

Your enemies are not the street cops. Your enemies are the political thugs hiding behind the street cops. The street cops are (generally) being abused just as you are. If you attack the street cops, you will just drive them to the political scum that is causing the problem and you will make the situation worse.

The main issue, imo, is that we no longer have a legal system based on the "presumption of innocence". The rule now is "prove your innocence". This is a MAJOR change in legal philosophy. The "prove your innocence" mindset is the basis for totalitarian state tryannies. This is the underlying reason people become so upset; the arbitrary and totalitarian nature of the practice.

These road blocks and "travel document" checks will only radicalize and alienate the people.

You see those results right here.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I visited the web page, where I saw a lot of speculation and guessing about what might happen some day, and photo-shopped pictures of "Police State" armored vehicles. I remember seeing a lot of the same sort of nonsense in the year leading up to Y-2-K, none of which came to pass. Anyone else remember the impending U.N. invasion, including busses with built in handcuff anchors, white U.N. suv's hidden at a secret U.N. base in Montana, and concentration camps being built? They had to be U.N. vehicles, bucuz they were white, and no one other than the U.N. has white vehicle. Right? I wonder what happened to all of that?

I recall the panic and hysteria about the military's urban combat training in 1999, with fears that the US Military was about to take over Peanutsville, Georgia. As it turns out, the lessons learned in those training exercises came in kind of handy in Iraq.

If you are really concerned about it, don't drive intoxicated and don't carry your dope in your car or truck.

Illegal Stops occurring across USA? - The Club House
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved