If this was your house ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > If this was your house ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Home security has been discussed in several threads and one of the things that keeps coming up is the perimeter of the house and how many entry points.

In the video you can clearly see the little thief shimmy through the dog door. Why keep something like that if you had been robbed before?

Stupid, Stupid. Obviously as she was robbed before, her dogs didn't do much then either, so you need to really evaluate your home protection zones.

Zone 1 - The exterior of the house. Is it secure? Are there big assed bushes or a hedge row near a window someone could hide behind while working on getting in? Does your garage door opener change frequency between uses, or do you have to manually change it? Do you have more than one lock on your exterior doors? Do your windows have some sort of additional hard lock like a stick placed in the running track to keep it from sliding open from the outside?

Luckily I don't live in a neighborhood that is real advantageous to would be home invaders. We have several cops who bring their cars home, we have quite a few jacked up trucks with NRA and hunting stickers on the back windows and the area is patrolled by the local PD.

Outside of that my place is pretty well guarded against unwanted intrusion, but if you were dumb enough to kick in the front door, there are (2) sets of fur coated razor blades waiting for you and flesh tastes just like chicken to them.

I'm with the OP though, I would be hard pressed to just dial 911 and not race home myself. The unmitigated gall of some people.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #12

Liked 2026 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Okay, help me learn here.

First of all, my dogs would have been barking like it was the end of the world. I have 3 dogs. Two little ones, one Border Collie. But say I didn't have any dogs (or like this lady, ones that hid instead of barked ) what should one do? My house is very small and if they were in my living room, they would be one wall away from me in my bedroom.

Would you call out "Who's there" and/or "I have a gun"? Would you do as the lady did and hope the cops get there in time? I'm not sure what the proper and safest way to handle this would be.

Please help me learn and tell us what you would have done in this situation as a gun owner with weapons in the house.

Never! The anal orifice might hear the bang. If his neurons are still transmitting after the initial flash registers.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Ah, when I heard she was calling from her office, I imagined an office room in her home, but you are right, she was not home.

As for Sillynoise, I would have to call the king for permission to defend my home and I'm pretty sure it would not be granted. I might have been ordered to ask them if they are finding everything they wanted.

At this stage of my gun ownership level, I may have 1.) peed my pants in fear 2.) called 911 3.) stepped out with my gun but I would NOT have shot anyone.
At this point, I am of the thinking unless mine or someone else's life is in danger, don't shoot. I know these thugs were very wrong, but to take a life for some Wii remotes..........I'm not ready to do that yet.
I would LOL at this...but i fear you are correct.

If you have a gun on you or in your home for personal protection you must MUST MUST resign and prepare yourself for the fact the you may have to take a persons life. If you you DO NOT, you are setting yourself up for tragic consequences. I understand being "soft hearted", an admirable trait in todays society, but in defense of ones life and home there s no place for it. Failure to act will most likely end in tragic consequences for yourself.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7333 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I would LOL at this...but i fear you are correct.

If you have a gun on you or in your home for personal protection you must MUST MUST resign and prepare yourself for the fact the you may have to take a persons life. If you you DO NOT, you are setting yourself up for tragic consequences. I understand being "soft hearted", an admirable trait in todays society, but in defense of ones life and home there s no place for it. Failure to act will most likely end in tragic consequences for yourself.
I have been told that, too. I guarantee you I would shoot in defense of my life or defense of the life of any family member. Probably even in defense of someone else's life on the street. Would I shoot to protect the objects in my home from a thief? No, I am not there yet nor am I sure I ever will be.

And I realize I am not mentally prepared to conceal carry and even if I could, I would not as of yet. I would like to have a conceal carry permit but I am not ready to strap a gun on to myself and go out like that. I am getting there. If you knew how I felt about guns as little as 3 years ago, you would understand what big strides I am taking in learning. Let's just say, my kids were never allowed to have toy guns. I didn't know any better and I have come a long, loooong way. This is a very new world to me and I am not young so I have spent many years misunderstanding guns.
It's going to take a long time to redirect my thinking.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21722 Times on 12312 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I have been told that, too. I guarantee you I would shoot in defense of my life or defense of the life of any family member. Probably even in defense of someone else's life on the street. Would I shoot to protect the objects in my home from a thief? No, I am not there yet nor am I sure I ever will be.

And I realize I am not mentally prepared to conceal carry and even if I could, I would not as of yet. I would like to have a conceal carry permit but I am not ready to strap a gun on to myself and go out like that. I am getting there. If you knew how I felt about guns as little as 3 years ago, you would understand what big strides I am taking in learning. Let's just say, my kids were never allowed to have toy guns. I didn't know any better and I have come a long, loooong way. This is a very new world to me and I am not young so I have spent many years misunderstanding guns.
if i were home and caught someone breaking and stealing, then IMO they are a threat to my safety, because now i am a witness. if i were not home and they broke in and robbed me, well i have lots of insurance for such things. when more states pass laws that allow homeowners the right to defend their property and family with deadly force, then maybe the criminals and lowlifes will wake up and realize, maybe robbery is not such a good line of work to be in.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can't believe the woman didn't take full advantage of live feed and direct communications with the police dispatcher. Had it been me, it would have gone something like this...

Dispatcher: 911, what's your emergency?

Me: Yes, there are three black males burglarizing my home as I am watching them on live video feed. I then give dispatcher a detailed description of them.

Dispatcher: Units are on the way.

Me: Please hurry, they are ransacking my home.

Dispatcher: Sir, they will be there in two minutes.

Me: OK... Please tell the responding officers it looks to me they are well armed.

Dispatcher: I'll inform the officers.

Me: Thank you Mame. I think they are pulling out their guns from under their hoodies?

Dispatcher: I relay that information, thank you.

Officers arrive and enter the residence: I'm still watching the feed.

Me: Mame, one of them is hiding behind the couch pointing a .45 at the officer.

Me: One of them is behind the curtains in the living room, weapon trained on the cops!!!

Me: Mame, it's going to be a massacre, they are ready for a gun fight.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #17

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It takes a worthless POS to invade a persons residence and take everything that person has worked hard for.if i ever catch anyone on my property or in my house stealing anything, they will pay the ultimate price. I have dehumanized these types of people,i dont care if they have parents,children,friends,or pets. They are on MY property,in MY house,taking MY items that its taken me a long time to obtain. I will dispose of them

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
fmj

Quote:

I kinda assumed as much from your posts in the little time i have been around this place. I myself have no less than 6 bleeding heart, liberal, gun hater converts to my credit. They're still bleeding heart, liberals...but LOVE guns and shooting They have come to understand guns arent any more evil than a screwdriver or the blender they mix their margaritas with. They now realize guns are as much an instrument of evil as an instrument of good.

Took MANY months and in a couple cases, YEARS of heated argument to bring this about. Months and years of being screamed at, called bad names and thrown out of houses...but i knew i could get it done....i have the FACTS and STATISTICS on my side. It simply takes patience a calmness i never before knew i had and understanding. Understanding that you are kicking the pedestal out from everything a person has believed and in some cases, based their lives on.

But once we finally got past the arguing part, and they took me up on my challenge of going to the range with me.....i knew it was OVER!! I knew it was simply a matter of time and that they were like putty in my hand.

But alas, (as is the case with my wife...she become even more conservative than i I these days) now i seldom get any "me time" at the range alone....always somebody wanting to tag along now.

Its good to have you on our side, ma'am!

Last edited by fmj; 11-22-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
I can't believe the woman didn't take full advantage of live feed and direct communications with the police dispatcher. Had it been me, it would have gone something like this...

Dispatcher: 911, what's your emergency?

Me: Yes, there are three black males burglarizing my home as I am watching them on live video feed. I then give dispatcher a detailed description of them.

Dispatcher: Units are on the way.

Me: Please hurry, they are ransacking my home.

Dispatcher: Sir, they will be there in two minutes.

Me: OK... Please tell the responding officers it looks to me they are well armed.

Dispatcher: I'll inform the officers.

Me: Thank you Mame. I think they are pulling out their guns from under their hoodies?

Dispatcher: I relay that information, thank you.

Officers arrive and enter the residence: I'm still watching the feed.

Me: Mame, one of them is hiding behind the couch pointing a .45 at the officer.

Me: One of them is behind the curtains in the living room, weapon trained on the cops!!!

Me: Mame, it's going to be a massacre, they are ready for a gun fight.
then be imprisoned on many counts of false informing and whatever else they can contrive!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #20

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
It takes a worthless POS to invade a persons residence and take everything that person has worked hard for.if i ever catch anyone on my property or in my house stealing anything, they will pay the ultimate price. I have dehumanized these types of people,i dont care if they have parents,children,friends,or pets. They are on MY property,in MY house,taking MY items that its taken me a long time to obtain. I will dispose of them
+1 Mr Wray!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting