If you had to choose - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > If you had to choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hhmm.......LIAI and GP35

Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default If I had to choose?

Hello all

Ron L = SERESURPLUS

If I had to choose, and I do:

1. Maddi Copy of AK-47 in Semi

2. M1911A1

3. BHP in 9MM

OH, thats right, thats what I carry and use now! LOL

Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

Boris that would be a good second choice, I like powerfull rifles and the russkies in Afghanistan found they could never get within range of a .303 lee enfield with their AK's (2000yds and 300 yds respectively) even with their gunships they still lost. I shoot a P38 in 9mm. it has plenty of kick but I don't find that anything matches a good revolver for accuracy. I shall try to continue finding out, whenever I get the chance. (I've a smith mod 19 .357 one of my cheapest guns but its the one I take to bed with me.).

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
S&W .357/.38 and Marlin 1894 .357/.38 lever gun.

Ammo interchangeable, and enough power to get the job done.
+1

movie zombie

Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928A1 View Post
Boris that would be a good second choice, I like powerfull rifles and the russkies in Afghanistan found they could never get within range of a .303 lee enfield with their AK's (2000yds and 300 yds respectively) even with their gunships they still lost. I shoot a P38 in 9mm. it has plenty of kick but I don't find that anything matches a good revolver for accuracy. I shall try to continue finding out, whenever I get the chance. (I've a smith mod 19 .357 one of my cheapest guns but its the one I take to bed with me.).
With air pollution I doubt whether we could see 1000 yards in places these days mate. I have just acquired the L1A1 so it's my favourite at the moment. Ask me in a couple of months I will likely have something else in mind. I use a Glock 17, Brno CZ75B (love it), Sig 210, Colt Gold Cup, SP101 and S&W 581..
The trouble is I am up to my limit of 7. I would like a M1 Garand to plink with but I will have to have one with the 30.06 short and butchered clip reducing the magazine capacity.... I'm not too keen on that........

Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #16

I never thought 7 guns would be a problem after leaving the U.K. this place is paradise. Is the M1 Garand so good ? would'nt you rather a 1916 BSA Mk1 no.4 smle which had fought. everyone to their own I suppose but if you can say what the Garand has for a brit I could probably want one too. What do you think about created calbers like 303 sporting, 308 ESP etcetera to get guns from cat 1 to cat 5 are they basterdised or is it o.k.?. I would really like to hear your thoughts on this mate.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #17

I wish I could narrow it down to only 2. Hey guys will are you talking bout I'm at my limit of 7?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928A1 View Post
I never thought 7 guns would be a problem after leaving the U.K. this place is paradise. Is the M1 Garand so good ? would'nt you rather a 1916 BSA Mk1 no.4 smle which had fought. everyone to their own I suppose but if you can say what the Garand has for a brit I could probably want one too. What do you think about created calbers like 303 sporting, 308 ESP etcetera to get guns from cat 1 to cat 5 are they basterdised or is it o.k.?. I would really like to hear your thoughts on this mate.
Well your right, one must be grateful, I really would like a circa 14/18 vintage SMLE MK111 to shoot classic rifle with, but having reached my limit for Cat. 1 I am going to have to look at it. I will be at the club today and will try and find out a little more, they seem popular with collectors. I guess reloading will be a nightmare..... The other slight problem is that I have applied to join the British Alpine Rifles, who still shoot in the UK (Bisley) and in Switzerland and number of times in the year.

I really would like to shoot the classic rifle (hence the SMLE) which states in the rules 'rifles produced prior to 1945'. They might not be too keen on a change in the chambering, however to slight, I would also imagine that the magazine capacity would also have to be restricted to 2/3 rounds.

Kirby: We are both in France and all firearms here are registered and the laws are somewhat complicated, but to try and make it simple. Weapons are split up into categories 1 to 10. Firearms in Cat.1 are all centrefire semi-automatic pistols not withstanding calibre. Revolvers of military calibre. All rifles of military calibre, all semi-automatic rifles with magazine capacity of more than 3 rounds. Pump shotguns (considered by the police services here as particulary dangerous here fall into this catagory)..... 1928A1 have I left anything out?...................

Anyway over here you are only allowed 7 firearms in this category, which if you are a keen shooter, as are we all, it can cramp your style a little. But 1928A1 is right I am extremely grateful to be here to carry on shooting, we where a lot worse off in the UK..................

Old 03-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #19

I think you summed up the important part Boris. We could also add that we can have up to twelve licensed guns but at least five have to be rimfire (so .22LR I suppose) in that case and also the oddity of non military calibre long guns only needing to be declared and not licensed, so .300 winch. magnum is declaration but .223 and .308 have to be licensed.( so you can have a Rem 700 full sniper spec. if you avoid the mil calires without a license but an old .303 lee enfield needs a licence likewise an M1 unless you have it altered) I think the 3 shot limit for declared guns applies only to semi autos and that bolt guns are not limited,unless you hunt with them. So (for the info of those abroad who might be interested)we have the oddity of shortening the chambers of military rifles by about 1/8 of an inch to create a new calibre which doesn't need a licence but you then usually have to make your own ammo.
iwould also be interested in shooting classic rifles if you could update me on what's involved, there's a range for full bore nr Angouleme buts that's a bit away and I've still not found out what's involved.

Last edited by 1928A1; 03-17-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: updating

Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Teknoid & Moviezombie, I agree with your choices of lever gun and powerful revolver in same caliber. I like those choices over semi-autos for reliability and ammo interchangeability. I'd go with .357 mag.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved