if you cvould only have one firearm
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

if you cvould only have one firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default if you cvould only have one firearm

I'm sure this has probably been done before but if it has than this one is for newer members like myself

So I was watching Red Dawn not too long ago and got to thinking about what kind of firearm I would want in a SHTF situation like that.

For those that have seen the movie.............what kind of firearm would you want in that exact same situation if you could only have one.

Me and a friend of mine both agreed that it would be a high capacity .22 of some sort. I would go with a ruger 10-22. my reasoning would be that it would be affective in taking both small game without wasting the meat and it would serve just fine for larger game like deer or elk with a head shot. The riffle is extremely low maintenance as I had one as a kid that went several years without a cleaning and it never jammed but once in a blue moon with cheap ammo .Most importantly .22 is quiet enough to not give your position away unlike larger rounds. in a gorilla warfare type situation like that survival would be more important than winning a fire fight IMO

an 870 12 gauge with a wide selection of ammo would be my next choice

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I agree that for one universal firearm, a .22lr rifle fits the bill. I do not agree that in a SHTF situation that taking large animals with a "head" shot with a .22 rifle is a good idea. Heck in a survival situation, large game killing is not needed until you are in a settled longer term situation. Jmho. The .22 is, however, a great choice for taking smaller game and edible varmits, which is more of a survival type action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

military wise mosin nagant or AK, russian still use the 7.62x54r for sniper rifles. But just to survive I would grab my Remington 870, I always have a stock pile of ammo for it from slugs to squirrel shot.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Ar-15 or a Mossberg 500 and a wide selection of ammo.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

This has been a thread a while back but it's good to reintroduce. Gotta go with my Mossberg Cruiser with Choate top folding stock. It's the one weapon in my arsenal that I'm most confident for making cold lifeless corpses.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #6

Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Id still have to go with my M47 Medusa... I can scavenge just about any round in the 9mm, .38, .357 range and ina pinch I can shoot 30 carbine, .351 SL, .32, .32 mag, and even .22 jet...