Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The "if I had it to do over" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts

A blessed man I am, but I didn't serve. I wished I had served in any branch really, just love my country wished I served.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I would have nailed more of my next door neighbors

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I wouldn't have traded in my 60's vintage Gibson SG

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19528 Times on 11084 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

we all have some regrets. it's part of being human, as we aren't perfect.

i have some regrets, just like everyone else. one of the few i have is the stupid accident that screwed up my back and wouldn't allow me to go into the military.

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4241

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

i have some regrets, just like everyone else. one of the few i have is the stupid accident that screwed up my back and wouldn't allow me to go into the military.

Axxe, please remember:

"They also serve who only stand and wait." John Milton

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #36
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
I'm Lucky.... Being 10+ years as a cancer survivor I feel that second chance has been given to me. I tell everybody exactly how I feel about them and I really don't sweat the small stuff (you know... work, traffic etc) and really enjoy the important things (family, my dogs, being away from work... etc).... The upside is that I've re-connected with my two younger brothers and I'm rebuilding a great relationship with both of them. I just hope I still have 10 to 20 more good years left in me... If not, I can still die happy knowing I at least tried to be the best person I could be every day I wake up.

As for the "screwing up" thing... I say this to everyone and anyone who knew me back in the 80's... "I'm sorry." I really didn't like the person I was back them too much, but if I was perfect I would have had 12 guys following me around hanging on my every word and a major religion named after me.... and I'm not sure I can handle that much pressure!!
In all honesty... I AM my father. Sometimes when I'm talking to my 11 year old I open my mouth and my father's voice comes out ... how the hell that happened I don't know... But I won't look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to his wisdom.

For me it was mismanaging my diabetes that almost did me in, and a major car wreck before that. Being that close to death has a way of putting things in perspective.

I can also say that, at this point in my life, I am beciming my dad, but that's not a bad thing. I will be honored if I can become even half the man he is. Ex-Marine, volunteer fireman (Currently 2nd assistant chief) , EMS instructor, and still working a full time job. He is so busy right now that I have to make an appointment to even see him for more than 5 minutes. Needless to say, I have a very deep respect for him, and I am greatful for all he has done for my family and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotex View Post
A blessed man I am, but I didn't serve. I wished I had served in any branch really, just love my country wished I served.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Axxe, please remember:

"They also serve who only stand and wait." John Milton
How very true Locutus. Mom and I did a lot of that during my dad's 22 years in the Corps. Cotex, Axxe, all of us who wait for the safe return of our friends and loved ones who serve are serving them and our country. Yes, I pray for them while they are over there fighting for those who can't, but I also pray for those that they leave at home during said time. I not only thank those who fight, I thank the families they leave at home for being there for them. Without the support of those of us at home, their job would be harder.

Now, back on topic.

There is only one thing in my past I would change. I would not have gone and done the stupid sh!t that led to the fight my mom and I had during my senior year. Said fight, in which both of us said some very hurtful things, led to a four year estrangement between my mom and I. It was finally resolved when my dad made us sit down and settle things between us, after my Mom had to have a triple bypass. I had ten more years with her after that, and when the last one hit, she died in my arms in the hospital parking lot when I was there to pick her up after dialysis. Had her last heart attack while I was helping her into my truck. I wish she could have been there for wedding #2, and I wish I hadn't had my head up my azz for so long. Those years are lost forever, and that still hurts 20 years later. Miss ya ma, and I'll see you again when it's time.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #37

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Quote:
John Wayne had the same thing happen to him. While in college at USC (on a football scholarship no less).. he injured his back body surfing in Malibu with some friends. He was afraid to tell his coach.. so the coach put him in the next several games... which injured it more. He lost his scholarship and eventually had to leave USC.... BUT he had a friend who Wayne gave free Saturday football tickets to... who in turn got him a job at Republic pictures in the prop department... later as a stand in... then introduced him to a young director named John Ford who eventually got him speaking parts and made him a leading man... The rest is history. That friend was none other than the first real Western movies superstar TOM MIX. Shows what making friends can do....

Fast forward to 1941... Japan bombs Pearl Harbor and we are now actively engaged in WW2. With his bosses at Republic threaten him with breach of contract should he enlist...Wayne goes down to the local Navy Recruiter, and because of his back is now declared "4F". He does what he can to help the war effort (bond drives, USO and moral tours, etc.) and stays lifelong friends with several who did serve (Jimmy Stewart, Air Corps... Lee Marvin, USMC... and Strother Martin, dive instructor USN). Still a patriot, but couldn't and didn't serve..... Why do you think he had that distinctive walk of his??

Next time someone refers to John Wayne as a "draft dodger" throw those facts at them. ...and don't get me started about Errol Flynn !!!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Well the good thing is, at least I wont leave this world saying "dam I wish I would have drank more"

Its all about the upsides

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #39

Liked 1686 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 856

1. I would have retired in the Air Force.
2. Would not have married ex wife #2.

Of course if I'd done #1, #2 would never have happened.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #40

Liked 1686 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I'd stay in school and become a rocket scientist!!

Sorry locusts, but unless you're in your late 60's or 70's, and retired, you'd most likely be un,or underemployed these days as a rocket scientist. I'm not sure what Bransons paying. He did bug out of his S.W. Spaceport.