Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Idiots on motorcycles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/idiots-motorcycles-41117/)

NGIB 04-11-2011 01:58 PM

Idiots on motorcycles

I was coming back from SC yesterday afternoon and since it was a nice day I ran into two types of folks riding bikes:

1. The old farts on Harleys & Goldwings that cruise in the fast lane at 10 MPH under the speed limit.

2. The young idiots on crotch rockets that weave in and out of lanes at well over 100 MPH.

Does either of these groups of idiots realize that they make life difficult for those of us that ride in a reasonable fashion? It's no wonder that so many auto drivers have no respect for bike riders...

opaww 04-11-2011 02:02 PM

You must of been passing through Radcliff.

danf_fl 04-11-2011 02:30 PM

The problem with the HD (and other) cruiser crowds is that the speedometer is not as accurate as the car or truck. My cruiser has a known 5mph error at 55.

The young crotch crowd are the ones who went through the MSF course (if they are lucky) and think they know how to ride. The wanna-be racers! But put them on a track and they would have the azzes given back to them and then some.

hogrider 04-11-2011 03:27 PM

I have the same 5mph error. At 70 I'm actually doing 65. There is also the fact that 55mph is a much more pleasurable ride. At least it is in my opinion. That's probably the old fart in me.:rolleyes:

NGIB 04-11-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry5081 (Post 484166)
I have the same 5mph error. At 70 I'm actually doing 65. There is also the fact that 55mph is a much more pleasurable ride. At least it is in my opinion. That's probably the old fart in me.:rolleyes:

No problem with cruising below the speed limit - just don't do it in the fast lane...

VitSports6 04-11-2011 03:34 PM

Its about time to get my Motorcycle out of the garage.
I hope I never cause any issues while riding, I normally use the city streets, Rarely do I get on the Interstate, But I have an old Honda CB350F so speed can be an issue at times.

hogrider 04-11-2011 03:34 PM

Well I don't. I ride in the granny lane. But I do know what you mean. Most of us older folks like the secondary roads as well. You can have the interstates. Too many crazies there.

danf_fl 04-11-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry5081 (Post 484170)
Well I don't. I ride in the granny lane. But I do know what you mean. Most of us older folks like the secondary roads as well. You can have the interstates. Too many crazies there.

...driving cars and complaining about motorcycles. :)

jgand72 04-11-2011 04:26 PM

The young idiots on crotch rockets are worse. They give sport bikes a bad rep.

The young idiots on crotch rockets are why my mother is terrified of the thought of me on a motorcycle. My dad rides a lot though. I want to get a little 250cc Ninja just to get to and from campus next year, but it would give my mother a heart attack, so I'm still up in the air on whether or not to get one this summer.

NGIB 04-11-2011 04:31 PM

I ride a 1000cc sport bike (Yamaha FZ1), but I ride like a normal person. Yes, the bike will do 140+ even with my big old ass on it but I see no need to do so. The formation of 3 "kids" on crotch rockets that blew by me on I-95 in Savannah were probably doing at least 120 and they were scooting between cars and just riding stupidly. I was kind of surprised that I didn't see them either smashed up or stopped by the law - but there they were in Hinesville when I got there (probably young soldier types)...